Cobra tail pipe question.

• Sponsors (?)

i bought my mac cat back for my 89 (RIP) from a guy who said the tails were too short to clear his 93 cobra rear bumper cover... idk if thats how they all are or if it was an install glitch...

Well we put a MAC set-up on our 93 Cobra and found out how they didn't fit...MAC said they would though..lol

We sent MAC the schematics for the correct length of the hanger so they could make a set-up to fit properly, they thanked us and told us they would fix the issue. Howeverwe have seen anything advertised, and that was over 4 years ago.....

I had to make custom hangers to located the pipes correct on my 91GT when I installed a Cobra bumper using the MAC 2.5" LX chrome tail pipe cat back, that I bought 2 years ago.

215816_17_full.jpg

johnt785 said:
So if i go with the Cobra rear bumper for my 90 GT. I can buy the 2.5'' chrome lx tails? I'll just need to make a custom hanger to hold the pipes up?

Yes, you need to lower the pipes around 1.5" if I remember correctly.

Rick91gt is correct.. I have a set of dynomax 2.5 tail pipes I tried to install yesterday on my 92 with the cobra bumper.. the hangers are too short and with the flowmasters i will actually have to cut the flowtubes to move the mufflers back and inch or two in order to keep the ends of the pipes from hanging out past the bumper and inch and a half. I'm now thinking of just keeping the turn downs as it's more of a PITA than it's worth to me. Might be better though if you use a complete kit unlike i did.

take it to an exhuast shop, because no matter what tailpipes you buy they won't fit, especially the flowmaster kit. The pipes wil have to be lengthened (or shortened) and moved down. I got the flowmaster kit, and had some 3" chrome tips put on it. Make sure that the pipes are not too close to the bumper because they will melt the paint.

Reactions: 1 user
My MAC fit great as far as length, just came to the edge of the bumper, but as I stated you will need to make custom drop mounts/hangers to get the height. One thing good about the MAC is the ball and socket fitting the tails connect to right after the axles, this give you a lot of adjustment the other systems don't...side to side and up and down.

I was able to use the stock LX pipes on mine with a longer rubber isolater on the rear hangers. I think I used one from a Subaru. It lowered the tails and did not adversely affect the rest of the exhaust.