cold air intake help!

Final5pt0

Apr 18, 2005
ok so here goes..... last summer i purchased a C&L cai kit with inlet tube, and installed it in my 95 GT (5speed). The engine is virtually 100% stock, just exhaust work. Now after i installed it everytime i started the car for the next 4 days it stalled out unless i gave it throttle, and while driving at a stop the idle was lumpy very lumpy:notnice:
so eventually i gave up on it and sent it back because the part is supposed to be 100% bolt on, it says distinctly in every product description that it doesnt require engine tuning
ok so heres my question, anyone ever have a similar experiance? and im sick of that stock air tubing, do the Mac or bbk kits work well?

• Sponsors (?)

You got the one with the 19lb injector sample tube right? Those C&L's are notorious for being real finicky, and sometimes guys' stangs won't even run right with them (like mine). But if you got one with a different sample tube, then it won't run worth a crap.

BBK makes a decent CAI, but pretty much all CAI's are useless except for looks, and you can even make your own for like $20 from Home Depot.

ive seen some guys pick up a little on the top end but they all had fox 5.0's was hoping someone had good experiance with Mac or BBk or something similar on a 94-95 car (and yeah i bought the one for stock injectors, the car ran like crap with it)

A 5.0 is a 5.0, a CAI is gonna do the same thing on them, whether it's a Fox or SN95.

FWIW, I had a BBK CAI on mine for a while, I loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was because my stock maf took a dump on me, and I switched to a Pro-M.

I have a MAC CAI and it's a pretty academic install, except that you need to get under the car to install the filter. I will (at some point) replace the filter with a K&N that fits through the hole in the inner fender.

Chris changes CAI's like he does exhausts. :D

Since your Stang is a GT then it is already too lean.

The cai would just make it more lean.

I saw that happen when I was using the GT pcm and rigged up a home made cai.

I also saw things go leaner when I changed my cai from having a 90 bend to a straight shot to the tb.

When you hose around :D with the air intake system things may change some what.

Grady

I got my CAI for under $50 off ebay [shipped] and it came with a K&N style filter.. so far it works alright I guess.. I don't really think you need one unless you run nitrous..even then I'm skeptical to if you need it.