Cold Start - 2k rpm idle

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
The car starts like it has a carb. Slowly the idle comes down, or I can blip the throttle after a few seconds to kick it down.
Car runs fine otherwise.

I am just looking for some other ideas.

I will check my tps as soon as I can get to my DVM

I only get code 11 - System pass.

Timing belt was just checked and is dead on at the cam and dist.
O2 sensor is new.

Car is a n/a 87 LX with a Turbo short block. The problem existed before the turbo block went in though.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

jason

• Sponsors (?)

I have a hard time believing that this is how the cars rolled out of Detroit.

The high rpms are way overkill for an efi system.

I will look into the ECT and TPS when I get back to the garage.

Thanks for all the responses.

jason

My SVO does the same thing on a cold start unless I blip the gas. In that case it comes down to ~1300 and then drops to ~900 when it gets warm.

vristang said:
I have a hard time believing that this is how the cars rolled out of Detroit.

The high rpms are way overkill for an efi system.

I don't know about the N/A 2.3, but the turbo EFI setup came out in '83. That was a relatively long time ago as EFI goes(and new to Ford as well). I'm not surprised that the ECU has some quirky programming to it. My '89 GT would idle up to 1300 when cold. I just start the engine, blip the gas, and it settles to 1200-1500. My carbed '68 idles at 700 w/o the choke no matter the temp.:D

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I guess I have to wait for the full turbo conversion to get rid of this then?

Does the LA3 computer do this?
Any other computer options that I should consider?
I still haven't decided on a computer, it just needs to be compatible with the tweecer.

I appreciate all the input guys (as frustrating as it may be:mad: ).

jason

I think what some of us are getting at is that most all of them do it. It's the cold start warm-up feature. The ECU richens the mix and lets more air in through the idle air bypass valve and what you get is more rpm until the coolant gets over ~140*. You can change it with the TwEECer, but it doesn't hurt anything(or the factory wouldn't have done it, right?).

It hurts my sanity :(
A efi car should not do this.
I'm not saying that it hurts anything, it just pisses me off to have the engine race every time I hit the key. :mad:
There is no need for it, and it gives an impression that the car is not properly tuned. :nonono:

The current computer in the car is either BF1 or 8F1 (I can't make it out). The tweecer doesn't work on this computer. :bang:

So all 2.3 computers (even the turbos) will jump to ~2k rpm at start up? :eek:

This will be one of my first Tweec's when I get a turbo on the car. :D

I surely appreciate all the responses guys, if you think of anything else let me know,
jason