Cold Start Problem?

ponyguy

Apr 16, 2003
Chicago
So here's the scenario. My car is not a daily driver and sits usually for 1-2 weeks at a time. As of Saturday morning it had been sitting for about 1 week. Car has 52,000 miles and no prior symptoms of any kind.

In this time the temp here in Chicago has dropped and been hovering in the 20-30 range.

So i go to start it and the car fired right up and then would die. I tried again, same problem, again I try, same problem. So I decide to hold revs up above 1000 with gas and it will stay running, but if I let revs drop it dies. After about 6-7 times of holding revs up like this, it stayed running on its own.

Went driving for 20 minutes or so, parked at home depot for a bit, scome out, and it starts right up. Next day Sunday, does the same thing on the 1st start. 2nd time I give her some good revs and it stays running after.

I am new to Ford computers and sensors and still learning. Cold start enrichment comes to mind, but that is the old GM guy in me. Battery voltage appears to be fine. What could this be????

• Sponsors (?)

ScottJ said:
Search here for idle air control (IAC) valve. Sounds like yours is sticking.

Mine has done that. I need to replace it but for a field expedient you can whack with your pocket knife (worked for me).

i'm with him :nice: whenever it starts acting like a carburtated car that's usually the culprit

Replacement is about $60 from GEF Racing.

It's on the front of the plenum on top of the intake (sorry don't have pics).

You could try cleaning it first. Just make sure you use fuel injection spray cleaner not carb cleaner. There's a coating on FI parts that regular carb cleaner will take off.