Cold start problems with a tune...

ChldsPlay

Aug 16, 2005
I have problems when the weather is cold and after my car has been sitting for awhile when I try to start it. The car will start, shimmy a bit and then die. I can try to start it immediately after that and usually it starts fine, though sometimes it can take 2 or 3 more times if it's really cold.

Once it's going good I don't have a problem starting it. Only after it's been sitting awhile in the cold does it have this problem. It also only has this problem when I have my tune from bama chips installed. It starts up perfectly with the stock tune.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is, and if there is a way to fix it? It's a 2006 V6 automatic with no modifications. Also, how much gain am I supposed to be getting from a tune? I can definately tell the difference between stock and the 91, but it's not as much oomph as I expected.

• Sponsors (?)

I got my tune from him too but I have had no problems whatsoever with cold starting here in MN. I don't know if it's the tune, maybe check the hardware under the hood to ensure everything is night and tight?

It's possible it could be due to your engine oil being too thick when it's cold. 10/30 could give you that problem. When you say cold, how cold are we talking?

Also, have you run through a couple tanks on the 91 tune before switching back? The first couple tanks could have a fair amount of 87 still in it, reducing the overall octane.

Just throwing out some ideas...

How could the battery cause the engine to stall after starting? After it turns over, the battery doesn't have anything to do with it anymore and it sounds like it was turning over fine.