Complete Speaker Replacement

doc4444

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2002
I've got the Mach 460 in my '98 and I want to completely replace all speakers. Has anyone done this? Are there any "Kits" for this? Is it just a drop in replacement so to speak or do I have to replace anything else? If you have done this replacement (speakers only not the head unit) what did you use?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

• Sponsors (?)

I've replaced all of my factory equipment w/ Infinity Kappa component speakers. However, I'll be getting new mid-range speakers for up front (see thread about it). I don't know of kits available where every mid-range speaker, tweeters, crossovers, and wiring is included in one kit. You usually buy speakers in pairs.And depending on what kind of speakers you plan on getting, you may need to power them w/ an aftermarket amp and it is definitely advisable to get a new head unit as well.

O.D. Showtime said:
I've replaced all of my factory equipment w/ Infinity Kappa component speakers. However, I'll be getting new mid-range speakers for up front (see thread about it). I don't know of kits available where every mid-range speaker, tweeters, crossovers, and wiring is included in one kit. You usually buy speakers in pairs.And depending on what kind of speakers you plan on getting, you may need to power them w/ an aftermarket amp and it is definitely advisable to get a new head unit as well.

What size component speakers did you install front & rear?

I have a '98 Saleen Cobra convertible into which I want to transfer my SVT Contour's system. I have 2 sets of 6-1/2" component speakers & 1 set of 5-1/4" component speakers. I'd prefer to use both of the 6-1/2" components but supposedly the rear side panels will only accommodate 5-1/4".

Did you mount your front component speakers in the factory locations; e.g. the forward lower door for the mid-woofer & the upper door sail panel for the tweeters? If so, how is the sound stage with these locations? I'm concerned that the tweeter mounted so high in the door & away from the mid-woofer would cause the staging to collapse.

I've considered mounting the mid-woofer in the lower door location along with the tweeter either next to it or in the kick panel, then add a pair of auxiliary tweeters in the sail panels but angled so they reflect off the windshield.

I suppose I'll have to consult with my custom installer to be certain what is the best set-up, but I wanted to know what others have done.

SVT Saleen said:
What size component speakers did you install front & rear?

I have a '98 Saleen Cobra convertible into which I want to transfer my SVT Contour's system. I have 2 sets of 6-1/2" component speakers & 1 set of 5-1/4" component speakers. I'd prefer to use both of the 6-1/2" components but supposedly the rear side panels will only accommodate 5-1/4".

Did you mount your front component speakers in the factory locations; e.g. the forward lower door for the mid-woofer & the upper door sail panel for the tweeters? If so, how is the sound stage with these locations? I'm concerned that the tweeter mounted so high in the door & away from the mid-woofer would cause the staging to collapse.

I've considered mounting the mid-woofer in the lower door location along with the tweeter either next to it or in the kick panel, then add a pair of auxiliary tweeters in the sail panels but angled so they reflect off the windshield.

I suppose I'll have to consult with my custom installer to be certain what is the best set-up, but I wanted to know what others have done.

I used 5 1/4" component speakers for the door panels and rear deck. My car is a coupe so I don't have speakers in the interior quarter panel like you vert does--mine go in the rear deck. I regret buying 5 1/4" speakers b/c they simply don't get loud enough (in terms of bass and mid-range sound). I am switching my door panel speakers out for something better. I used all factory locations for my speakers and the tweeters are also mounted in factory locations. My crossovers for the door speakers are located in the kick panel.

Keep in mind that I had to make speaker mounts out of MDF board for the door speakers and rear speakers. The factory location (at least in a coupe) won't fit a 5 1/4" speaker, so I made baffles so they could be accepted in factory locations. This is not uncommon...many people do it.

What is your purpose in angling the front tweeters so they reflect off the windshield? Does this improve sound imaging? I may consider doing that as well.

O.D. Showtime said:
I used 5 1/4" component speakers for the door panels and rear deck. My car is a coupe so I don't have speakers in the interior quarter panel like you vert does--mine go in the rear deck. I regret buying 5 1/4" speakers b/c they simply don't get loud enough (in terms of bass and mid-range sound). I am switching my door panel speakers out for something better. I used all factory locations for my speakers and the tweeters are also mounted in factory locations. My crossovers for the door speakers are located in the kick panel.

Keep in mind that I had to make speaker mounts out of MDF board for the door speakers and rear speakers. The factory location (at least in a coupe) won't fit a 5 1/4" speaker, so I made baffles so they could be accepted in factory locations. This is not uncommon...many people do it.

What is your purpose in angling the front tweeters so they reflect off the windshield? Does this improve sound imaging? I may consider doing that as well.

Thanks for the reply, O.D.

I used fabricated adapaters for my Contour when installing the front 6-1/2" & rear 5-1/4" components into the factory 6x8/5x7 openings. I'll have to do the same with my Saleen Cobra & determine if I can use the 2nd pair of 6-1/2" components in the rear side panels or stay with the 5-1/4" components. Either way, since they are just for rear fill only it really doesn't matter which size is used.

As for angling the auxiliary tweeters off of the windshield, that is an idea expounded by CDT Audio which offers such auxiliary tweeters in several kits they refer to as Image Enhancement or Stagefront. I purchased one of each kit but never installed them. The Stagefront is a more advanced version of the Image Enhancement utilizing a specialized cross-over instead of an attenuator. The idea is to blend the auxiliary tweeters into the main front tweeter's frequency range so that it creates an expanded sound stage that seems more 3 dimensional & thereby eliminating the localization of the system. CDT recommends angling the auxiliary tweeters so that they fire off of the windshield to provide reflected highs along with the main tweeters direct sound. You can read more about it here: http://www.cdtaudio.com/cdt10lp.htm