COMPUTERS SUCK!

So my computer decides to crash last night....my computer that has all my portfolio work, all my music, all my pictures, and all the videos i've either made, or downloaded. Not only that, but now my router on my brothers computer decided to die, and i needa send it back to linksys and have them replace it. Therefore, theres only one computer in the house with the internet, probably for over a week, and this computer just so happens to be my brothers computer, and the only reason i can go on it now, is cause he's in school. I LIVE on my computer, and i dont know what im gonna do without it......DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

sorry guys, but this is one of the worst thing ever!:bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

what happen to it? virus? dosent power up at all?

if it was a virus and you dont want to lose all your saved info you can buy another hard drive and then use your current one as a backup then install a fresh copy of windows on your new HD.

if it dosent power on at all it could just be a bad power supply, simple fix

if its some other type of hardware issue you could test your current HD into a different computer and copy all your info that way :shrug:

unmountable_boot_volume on the blue screen with white writing at startup...i believe i just needa get the xp pro disc back from my g-pa, i have a solution on what to do...

and i just bought a new router for the time being until i get the one from linksys, which im gonna return...

if you have really important info on there you dont wanna lose you could try putting that HD in another computer and coping your files to the other one then format the HD and start fresh

I never view it as the computer being stupid.. It's only as smart as its user.

Did you backup your files? Constant crashing due to what? Virus? Do you have AV software? Was it up to date? Wrong drivers? Have you ever defraged the HD? Scandisk? Was your OS updated?

There's tons of questions... I wouldn't just blame the computer.

stprorolla49 said:
unmountable_boot_volume on the blue screen with white writing at startup..
That means you need to run Window install and do a repair. First, enter your bios setup (watch closely upon initial bootup and you will see the command - sometimes it's tab). In bios, make sure your boot sequence first looks to your CD-ROM, then to the hard drive. Now save and exit. Then insert the Windows install CD and power up.

It takes forever for the Windows install to load. But when it does it will ask you if you want to repair or install a new copy of Windows. Start by trying to repair it. IF that does not work, then buy a new hard drive and install windows on that, with the old drive installed as a slave. Once you get windows reinstalled, then you should be able to access the old drive and pull off old data.

I just went through all this too. After you are up and running, establish a backup schedule (once a month, once a quarter, etc.) and keep it up. You might even consider using the old drive as your backup C:. For example, after you get your new install done and stabile with all your settings and passwords re-established, then do a drive copy to the old drive. Then unplug the old drive and shelve it somewhere for the next time this happens.

Good luck.

Any computer store should carry a USB hard drive case that will fit desktop size hard drives. Just put your bad hard drive in the case and connect the case to a good computer using USB. Very simple. Your hard drive should be accessible. Copy your data to the good computer.

Then.......do the Windows fix mentioned above. If it were me and that didn't work, I'd format the drive and slap on a new copy of windows or use your Restore CDs that came with the computer.

Backups? Get a USB hard drive that is bigger than your current drive. Get some backup software that doesn't compress or encrypt your data. I suggest Cobian Backup which can be found doing an Internet search. It's free and has worked perfectly for me at home and at work on dozens of computers for over 4 years. I prefer to see "real" files in the backup location, rather than something encrypted that may be difficult to unencrypt in an emergency.

I do this stuff weekly at work and frankly, technology today has made disaster recovery so much easier and efficient. It's cheap, too.

Good luck.

GRGT1994 said:
That means you need to run Window install and do a repair. First, enter your bios setup (watch closely upon initial bootup and you will see the command - sometimes it's tab). In bios, make sure your boot sequence first looks to your CD-ROM, then to the hard drive. Now save and exit. Then insert the Windows install CD and power up.

It takes forever for the Windows install to load. But when it does it will ask you if you want to repair or install a new copy of Windows. Start by trying to repair it. IF that does not work, then buy a new hard drive and install windows on that, with the old drive installed as a slave. Once you get windows reinstalled, then you should be able to access the old drive and pull off old data.

I just went through all this too. After you are up and running, establish a backup schedule (once a month, once a quarter, etc.) and keep it up. You might even consider using the old drive as your backup C:. For example, after you get your new install done and stabile with all your settings and passwords re-established, then do a drive copy to the old drive. Then unplug the old drive and shelve it somewhere for the next time this happens.

Good luck.
+1