Confused. Ignition. Duraspark II or Pertronix.

Fuzzylogic

May 8, 2005
Albany, OR
Bang for the buck, efficiency, easiest to install, "best" to use. What's the difference between these two and which should I be looking for to go with my Dad's 200ci Mustang?

Thanks - I'm a newbie trying to understand. He brought up Pertronix and wanting to do that, but I saw on Fordsix (a site recommended to me from here) that Duraspark II was the way to go.

Help! And thanks!

Thomas

• Sponsors (?)

I've used a Pertronix for years now with no burnout. If you've got a good distributor now, install the Pertronix or any other conversion module. I've used the Pertronix I & II and a Crane XR-1 and all are reliable. The difference between the I & II units I've noticed is the II unit doesn't develop a mis fire after a "hiccup" backfire thru the carb..

I put my duraspark together for 55$. That included wiring, cap, rotor, fleabay distributor, module, etc. It took a while to get the parts together, but I was bored and patient.

I even made my own bushing to change the advance curve. Mechanical advance is now 22 degrees. Currently running 14 to 36.

Anyway, I had Pertronix one. Changed over to utilize female ignition wires.

With the Duraspark, the idle is better, otherwise, it performs the same as the Pertronix. It is, even if you buy new, cheaper.