• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Confused

  • Thread starter Thread starter StayHot
  • Start date Start date Aug 5, 2004
S

StayHot

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
9
0
0
Wichita KS
Aug 5, 2004
#1
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #1
I just put an off road X-pipe on my 95 GT and now my check engine light is on. It comes on once the engine comes up to temp. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need MIL eliminators unless it was a 96 or later model. Whats going on here? Anybody else had this problem? Any help would be appeciated.
 
9

94fiveptslow

New Member
Jul 27, 2004
46
0
0
Aug 5, 2004
#2
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #2
When i put my H-pipe on mine my CEL light stayed on for a while...then...it finally went off after a week or so....then again i put longtubes and everything on mine..so i have to relocate my o2's and everything. But my eventually went off...so i dont need em....i know that prob doesnt help much but thats my 2 cents. Try running codes maybe...see if your eec threw a code???
 
R

rudeone707

New Member
May 17, 2003
1,829
0
0
Fairfield, Ca
Aug 5, 2004
#3
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #3
welcome to the board.

the x pipe would not make your CEL come on. The o2 sensors are before the cats anyways so it would have no affect on the reading. There is another reasin your CEL is on, try checking all you sensors, or buy a code scanner.
 
W

wytstang

Mustang Master
Mar 14, 2004
4,988
4
78
Summerville,SC missing South Fl. weather :(
Aug 5, 2004
#4
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #4
rudeone707 said:
welcome to the board.

the x pipe would not make your CEL come on. The o2 sensors are before the cats anyways so it would have no affect on the reading. There is another reasin your CEL is on, try checking all you sensors, or buy a code scanner.
Click to expand...
maybe an o2 sensor was damaged while they were out.
 
S

StayHot

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
9
0
0
Wichita KS
Aug 5, 2004
#5
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #5
Its possible it was damaged. Is there a way to test the o2 sensors?
 
W

wytstang

Mustang Master
Mar 14, 2004
4,988
4
78
Summerville,SC missing South Fl. weather :(
Aug 5, 2004
#6
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #6
You have to buy a scanner and run some test. I think autozone runs codes for free but I'm not to sure.
 
S

StayHot

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
9
0
0
Wichita KS
Aug 5, 2004
#7
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #7
I have a scanner out at my dads shop, I was just wondering if you can check the sensor with an ohm meter or something. Or do I just trust the code and go buy new ones?
 

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
6,659
1
0
Portland, Oregon
Aug 5, 2004
#8
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #8
wytstang said:
I think autozone runs codes for free but I'm not to sure.
Click to expand...
Yes, they do. You can also read the codes yourself by using a paperclip to short two terminals in the test connector (do a search online for which terminals to short) and reading the codes by watching the check engine light flash.
 

RydeOn

Licensed to Chill
Founding Member
Sep 26, 2000
6,273
1
77
orange county, CA
Aug 5, 2004
#9
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #9
You dont have to do a search. Heres the information youll need. Its real easy.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/selftest.html
 

chrismillion

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 4, 2004
259
0
16
Aug 5, 2004
#10
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #10
have you cataylitic converters checked to see if they are operating funtionally.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 5, 2004
#11
  • Aug 5, 2004
  • #11
The catalytic converters wouldn't effect it. One of the O2 sensors has a problem. Just go to Autozone or Advance to have the codes red to figure out which one.

Kurt
 

Black95GTS

Active Member
Jan 8, 2004
1,644
3
38
Marlborough, MA
Aug 6, 2004
#12
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #12
Its the 02 sensors. They just get jostled from moving around. I did my O/R X pipe a couple weeks ago. The CE light would come on just as you explained, then after a couple days it stopped coming on all together. I think its just a question of the sensors situating themselves. Occasionally the light will come on if I absolutely gun it, like yesterday when pulling out of the mall with an impressionable lady riding shotgun. They go off about 2 minutes after.
 

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
6,659
1
0
Portland, Oregon
Aug 6, 2004
#13
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #13
Black95GTS said:
Its the 02 sensors. They just get jostled from moving around. I did my O/R X pipe a couple weeks ago. The CE light would come on just as you explained, then after a couple days it stopped coming on all together. I think its just a question of the sensors situating themselves. Occasionally the light will come on if I absolutely gun it, like yesterday when pulling out of the mall with an impressionable lady riding shotgun. They go off about 2 minutes after.
Click to expand...
That's not normal. I've had my O2 sensors out multiple times, I've lengthened the wires myself to make them fit longtubes, etc. I *never* get a MIL. Pull codes, figure out what it is, and fix it.

Dave
 
S

StayHot

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
9
0
0
Wichita KS
Aug 8, 2004
#14
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #14
Yup, it was the o2 sensors. I put a new set on and now it runs like a raped ape. SWEEEET. Thanks guys!!!
 

89 blue lx

Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
1,936
0
37
FSU in tallahassee GO SEMINOLES!
Aug 8, 2004
#15
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #15
hell yeah man glad you got everything worked out
 

Black95GTS

Active Member
Jan 8, 2004
1,644
3
38
Marlborough, MA
Aug 9, 2004
#16
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #16
HairyCanary said:
That's not normal. I've had my O2 sensors out multiple times, I've lengthened the wires myself to make them fit longtubes, etc. I *never* get a MIL. Pull codes, figure out what it is, and fix it.

Dave
Click to expand...

Dave -

On your advice, I went to Autozone on Saturday and had them check codes, and everything came up fine. Is there anything else that would momentarily trigger this that wouldn't show up on a code scan?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Intake
  • James S
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
271
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 12, 2026
James S
J
7
What megasquirt kit to order
  • 74delta
  • Jul 4, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
15
Views
476
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
5
Foxbody Intro
  • 5.0Sucio
  • May 26, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
1
Views
159
The Welcome Wagon May 26, 2026
Noobz347
W
Headlights dimmer and gauges arent playing nice
  • wmfmike3
  • Aug 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
225
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2025
wmfmike3
W
A
Rough idle - cylinder 1 and 6 misfire HELP
  • austindavies935
  • Jul 24, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
825
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2025
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?