Confused

StayHot

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
9
0
0
Wichita KS
I just put an off road X-pipe on my 95 GT and now my check engine light is on. It comes on once the engine comes up to temp. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need MIL eliminators unless it was a 96 or later model. Whats going on here? Anybody else had this problem? Any help would be appeciated.
 
When i put my H-pipe on mine my CEL light stayed on for a while...then...it finally went off after a week or so....then again i put longtubes and everything on mine..so i have to relocate my o2's and everything. But my eventually went off...so i dont need em....i know that prob doesnt help much but thats my 2 cents. Try running codes maybe...see if your eec threw a code???
 
welcome to the board.

the x pipe would not make your CEL come on. The o2 sensors are before the cats anyways so it would have no affect on the reading. There is another reasin your CEL is on, try checking all you sensors, or buy a code scanner.
 
wytstang said:
I think autozone runs codes for free but I'm not to sure.
Yes, they do. You can also read the codes yourself by using a paperclip to short two terminals in the test connector (do a search online for which terminals to short) and reading the codes by watching the check engine light flash.
 
The catalytic converters wouldn't effect it. One of the O2 sensors has a problem. Just go to Autozone or Advance to have the codes red to figure out which one.

Kurt
 
Its the 02 sensors. They just get jostled from moving around. I did my O/R X pipe a couple weeks ago. The CE light would come on just as you explained, then after a couple days it stopped coming on all together. I think its just a question of the sensors situating themselves. Occasionally the light will come on if I absolutely gun it, like yesterday when pulling out of the mall with an impressionable lady riding shotgun. They go off about 2 minutes after.
 
Black95GTS said:
Its the 02 sensors. They just get jostled from moving around. I did my O/R X pipe a couple weeks ago. The CE light would come on just as you explained, then after a couple days it stopped coming on all together. I think its just a question of the sensors situating themselves. Occasionally the light will come on if I absolutely gun it, like yesterday when pulling out of the mall with an impressionable lady riding shotgun. They go off about 2 minutes after.
That's not normal. I've had my O2 sensors out multiple times, I've lengthened the wires myself to make them fit longtubes, etc. I *never* get a MIL. Pull codes, figure out what it is, and fix it.

Dave
 
HairyCanary said:
That's not normal. I've had my O2 sensors out multiple times, I've lengthened the wires myself to make them fit longtubes, etc. I *never* get a MIL. Pull codes, figure out what it is, and fix it.

Dave

Dave -

On your advice, I went to Autozone on Saturday and had them check codes, and everything came up fine. :shrug: Is there anything else that would momentarily trigger this that wouldn't show up on a code scan?