Constant flooding...need help.

evrythingsux151

Founding Member
Sep 14, 2002
I've got an 84 2.3L That is going to go under the knife soon, but I need to aquire some information first..

The 1st symptom:

The car starts up great in the morning, but Say I drive the car to work, and want to start it up 10 or 20 minutes after I have shut the motor off, the damn thing is flooded. Sometimes I can get it to start, while running VERY rough and pluming black smoke.

MY Diag. (Is open to flaw)

I am pretty sure the carb needs to be rebuilt.

The 2nd Symptom (not related to the first.)

The rear brakes do not work. period.

My Diag.

I had to lock up the brakes....on the highway...not pretty. The brake warning light has been on since. I replaced both the wheel cylinders, and no luck, so I think it is probably the proportioning valve....The mastercylindar was replaced about 10K miles ago.

My delema.
I do not have a clue where to find a rebuild kit. That and my knowledge of the internals on a carb are limmited.
I don't even know where the proportioning valve is! :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Your 84 should be carbed. Not sure if it has the electronic feedback or not.

But it sounds like just a plain old leak problem. It could be that the float is sticking open, or it is draining the carb bowl into the engine when off.

You may have a plugged carb vent line, or maybe the valve from the carb vent to the carbon canister is staying closed when it should be open.

Other than a bunch of vacuum lines, it should not be a hard thing to rebuild, and nearly any parts store should carry the rebuild kit. Carquest, Autozone, etc.