constantly grinding reverse. any issues?

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
my car CONSISTANTLY grinds going into reverse. ive had problems with my tranny while under warrenty, like the reverse, 1st, and 3rd gear synchronizers going out. so the other day, i started the car, then revved the engine a little just to hear my exhaust. so i put the car into reverse too quick, when the rpms were still~1500-2000 rpms. there was a LOUD grinding, and my speedo needle jumped to its max position and went back down. i guess its called "pegging". is this bad?? do you think i hurt anything?

• Sponsors (?)

40th GT said:
In my car, I always go into 5th, neutral and then into reverse. It goes in a lot smoother. :shrug:
:stupid: I never had the speedo thing ur talking about but i did always grind reverse ( im guessing its a prob on most of those trannies) but since i started putting it in 5th first it goes in much smoother

DerekStangGT said:
my car CONSISTANTLY grinds going into reverse. ive had problems with my tranny while under warrenty, like the reverse, 1st, and 3rd gear synchronizers going out. so the other day, i started the car, then revved the engine a little just to hear my exhaust. so i put the car into reverse too quick, when the rpms were still~1500-2000 rpms. there was a LOUD grinding, and my speedo needle jumped to its max position and went back down. i guess its called "pegging". is this bad?? do you think i hurt anything?

I do the 5th to reverse thing...and it works great for me too..