Convertible - How to remove quarter window molding, front seal and dew wipe?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
I have found info on StangNet on how to remove my upper door molding (molding and dew wipe) but not on how to remove the molding and dew wipe at the quarter window. I am hoping I don't have to remove the whole molding that goes all the way around the back of the convertible - but that's why i'm asking.

Also, the vertical seal that goes on the front edge of the quarter window - is it just glued on? Are there fasteners or can I pry it off?

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

You can access the nut/studs for the quarter trim (well mouldings) by lowering the rear windows and by lowering the top. Then feel under the egde with you fingers( hope their small). LOL
Its real tight but there are studs with nuts holding the mouldings down. You will need to remove the trunk hinges/covers as well. The studs/nuts are caked with a putty from the factory to avoid cutting the top while its up. You'll need to get that off to remove the nuts.

The vertical rear window rubber seal is glued and slid into the black aluminum track that is "permanently attached" to the front edge of the glass. Simply cut/pull, peal out the rubber seal from the aluminum trim.
Good luck

Wow, sounds like a royal pain in the butt.... but I have all the trim and seats out right now to install torque box and upper control arm body reinforcements so I'm replacing the shrunk and/or nasty looking exterior trim and weather strip as it will be a little easier than doing it with the seats and trim in the car.

Thanks!

Wow, sounds like a royal pain in the butt.... but I have all the trim and seats out right now to install torque box and upper control arm body reinforcements so I'm replacing the shrunk and/or nasty looking exterior trim and weather strip as it will be a little easier than doing it with the seats and trim in the car.

Thanks!

I'll be doing this same job soon....

Hey, when you get the torque boxes done, would you give me a run thru on what to expect. I'm geting this done also.

BTW, what are: upper control arm body reinforcements? I haven't heard any talk about them before. I have a vert and want to true-up any weak point before final paint and re-assembly.

1200gt,
Sorry, I'm sure I didn't use the proper term for the reinforcements. Here's what I installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTAN...OX-REINFORCEMENT-KIT-/120752952382#vi-content

I bolted it all in and then welded in the pieces where I could. The stuff inside the car was pretty easy to get to but the underside pieces just got a few perimeter spot welds.

A couple things on the vert - when you get the quarter panel off and are going to drill the holes for the lower box reinforcements, you'll want to remove the metal brace that's attached to the floor. If I remember correctly it's got 3 or 4 rivets holding it to the floor pan. It bolts to the convertible structure at the upper end. The plate will go right under the lower 'foot' of this brace. I took mine out and reshaped the feet on my vice so they'd fit with the thicker floor. I used screws to reinstall them.
Torque Box 2.JPG

Torque Box 3.JPG

The other issue on the convertible is that when you do the upper ones, they say to put the bottom one in place and drill up through the floor. Well, the hole is going to be either just behind or right on the wall that closes out the back of the seat. You'll have to cut some of the wall out on both sides to install the top plate and bolts. I've heard that when I reinstall the seat back that I'll have to notch out the back of it to fit over the bolts.
Torque Box 1.JPG

This is just how I did it... not sure if it's the same story for all of us with convertibles or not. I can't see any way to get the upper plates in without cutting out some metal.

Thanks,
Oz