Convertible top motor

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
This part has a good pump but the electric motor portion works intermittently. When it decides not to work you can knock on it with a wrench and it will work again.

Is it easy to take these apart and repair or would you say this part is junk and should be scrapped?

F1328C9A-14D5-4160-B734-58A220FB2641.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I would think the worse scenario is buying a new one?? So take it apart and see what you have... Maybe needs some new brushes??

Easy to work on. Save the old O-rings to match-up at your local store or NAPA, and watch for the two little ball bearings used as check valves. Intermittent is likely old brushes or corroded commutator, but may be deeper. Well-stocked hardware stores can match-up for new brushes, or check at (or drop the motor at) an electrical/motor repair shop for a once-over, if that's not your thing. The same pumps were used by every brand for decades. I got a nice pump at the wreckers for $15 that was identical to my Ford in a 1990-ish Dodge K-car.

Reactions: 1 user
The motor internals were just really dirty inside. I rinsed it good with brake cleaner and dried with compressed air. Works like a champ now.

Reactions: 2 users