Convertible top problem

orso123

Apr 4, 2006
Help...

I've got an 02 GT convertible...this car has been garage keep and no winter driving...only 16k miles. So what is happening makes no sense...

The convertible top is "fraying" down in one corner, right on the outside seam, down by the back window. It is about 2 inches long and rapidly getting worse.

Anyone have suggestions on how to stop this from getting worse?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Is the top kept down in the garage? I usually once a week put the top down leave it, and put it up an hour later to make sure the top is stretched and bent like it should, then I clean it and use some 303 cleaner on it to prevent it getting dirty, I usually wash and clean it once every 2 or 3 weeks and mine is a 99 thats about to get a new top as my window is sagging.

But, nonetheless there is no problem with mine except for the leaks in the FL rain.

During the winter the car will sit with the top up - and the car covered for the most part. In the summer, the top is up and down at least several times a week.

said it once and I'll say it a few more times.... get a fabric top. I don't understand why they even make vinyl anymore. the fabric ones are soooooooooo much better and cost, wait for it, wait for it........ the same

no shrinking
no fading
no stretching
no ripping
easier to clean and maintain
look better too

I had one on my 87 GT and it was tits. cost, $400 and another 4 or 5 bills to have it installed. I belive the company I ordered from was world or world wide car tops. something like that. it was a long time ago I got it.

said it once and I'll say it a few more times.... get a fabric top. I don't understand why they even make vinyl anymore. the fabric ones are soooooooooo much better and cost, wait for it, wait for it........ the same

no shrinking
no fading
no stretching
no ripping
easier to clean and maintain
look better too

I had one on my 87 GT and it was tits. cost, $400 and another 4 or 5 bills to have it installed. I belive the company I ordered from was world or world wide car tops. something like that. it was a long time ago I got it.

I have yet to see a shop that charges the same for vinyl and cloth.

For those considering it check your local trim shops on price, with that being said when mine needs replaced I am going cloth.

Cloth costs twice as much as vinyl, they are absolutely not the same price.

Vinyl is easier to maintain than cloth.

Vinyl is more waterproof than cloth.

Cloth looks better.

Cloth lasts longer.

Cloth does not crack.

Both materials have their advantages and disadvantages.

The resting position of a top is the UP position, keep it up as much as possible. Do not leave it down in the garage overnight EVER (especially vinyl).

There is plenty of information on cleaning and maintaining convertible tops on the internet.

I couldn't find World tops or World Wide tops. I was thinking about calling Ford, I know that the '03 Cobra had a cloth top.

Anyone know where to get a high quality cloth (fabric) top for an '02?