Engine Converting mass air back to speed density

a50ina50

May 31, 2016
I am considering converting my 1988 SSP back to factory speed density. A previous owner converted it to the mass air. The engine is completely stock. I don't plan on modifying iit. Has anyone changed their converted mass air mustang back to factory speed density? What is involved? I know I have to remove the mass air sensor and install a speed density intake tube, which I have.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The ECU was most likely changed, along with some wiring to it, that would need to be reversed. I’m not sure if the mass air computer can be used for speed density. Is the car a manual or auto?

Do you know what computer is in it? (Behind the passenger side kick panel).

The ECU was most likely changed, along with some wiring to it, that would need to be reversed. I’m not sure if the mass air computer can be used for speed density. Is the car a manual or auto?

Do you know what computer is in it? (Behind the passenger side kick panel).
No, you cannot use a MAss Air EEC for SD.

I'm not conducting a poll and looking for a bunch of opinions.
I am considering converting my 1988 SSP back to factory speed density. A previous owner converted it to the mass air. The engine is completely stock. I don't plan on modifying iit. Has anyone changed their converted mass air mustang back to factory speed density? What is involved? I know I have to remove the mass air sensor and install a speed density intake tube, which I have.

You need to determine how the conversion was done. Here's how I did mine... (I think):

There are other conversions that include an [adaptor] (these were popular for a time). If you have one of these, it just needs to be removed and plugged into an SD EEC.

Depends how he did it, if its the old ford motorsports kit, hook the MAP sensor back up, and unplugging the adapter harness, then just bolt the SD computer to the original harness, done... If they hard wired it you need to undo that and depin the ecu connector to return it back to the way it was, may even need a harness if they swapped in an 89 one.

You need a DA1 computer to go back to speed density....

You will also have to add a vacuum line to the bap sensor circuit aswell as repin the whole EEC plug if the mentioned converter plug isnt present which in essence eliminates the MAF and repins some others which isnt overly hard when you know how to remove the pins without damaging the plug....

On the EFI Dyno tuning page there is a pinout schematic for almost all of the EEC-IV computers including 1988 Speed density cars..

I hope this link is ok to post . A9L computers use a GUFB strategy.

With a jewleres loupe you can see the lil levers that hold the pins in place with help of the red wedgelock that need to be gently pried to the side with a small jewelers screwdriver then gently pried back so the red wedgelock can do its job....

Last edited:
If you have the vacuum line hooked up to the BAP along with the MAF being plugged in thats where your problems exist...

If you have the vac line hooked up you have a MAP with a MAF system instead of a BAP with a MAF.

A BAP sensor has no vacuum line and uses Barometric pressure instead of vacuum to send info back to the ECU by telling the ECU the elevation above sea level you are traveling/...

If you can Id post up a few pictures of how the MAF and BAP is installed in your car....

Last edited:
20230521_134737.jpg

Not really. But you really only need to swap two pins and you can install the SD ecu

Do you have an ECU ready?

Are you looking to completely remove the MAF plug or are you willing to tuck it?

Here’s one of the better write-ups for going from speed density to mass air.

You’ll need to go the opposite route.

Section 4 is the only pin swaps needed. You’ll have to revert back.

Pin 19 fuel pump monitor can stay

The VSS pins can stay.

The MAF plug can just tuck away, or cut down at the ECU and tape up the loose ends.

Pull off the MAF sensor and tubing, and plug the MAP sensor back to direct manifold vacuum

5-spd or auto?

rockauto has a bunch. Seems less demand for SD computers. I would eat the core charge though as a mass air ECU is worth way more.

I think SSP cars did get a different ECU, but I don’t know how easy that will be to find.

CBDE16AA-904C-4C58-B7E7-F810D93B5CD4.png

That's pretty clean swap, hard to tell what harness that is from those pics. I would fish it threw the firewall first after unbolting the ecu, see if it still has the tag on it or look at other parts of it to figure out if its a modified factory one or an 89 mass air harness they swapped in. I don't see any splices besides those two butt connectors.

You’ll have to remove the mass air sensor, replace the ECU with a speed density ECU (I have one), either replace the harness with a stock one or re-pin the one you have, and connect the BAP as a MAP.

I have to ask the question: why would you want to go back? I upgraded my '86 to mass air with a Ford kit. I drove it that way for a long time and it worked great. Since then, adding heads, cam, etc., the mass air handled everything with no issues.

Bill