Coolant Bleeding Question

91StangGT5.0

Oct 21, 2009
This may have been answered before I dunno...Maybe not with how I am experiencing. I just changed my radiator and I was trying to bleed the cooling system, but I'm not sure if it's working or if I am doing it right. I jacked up the driver's side to make the radiator cap a little higher to ensure it's the highest point. I removed the cap and started my engine and let it run. It has some very very little bubbles, but I'm not sure if it's from air or from vibrations. I have a 180* thermostat too and I don't think it maybe opening at 180* or maybe the temp hasn't reached 180* yet....I dunno. Well anyway, I run the engine until it reaches half way and don't notice any coolant being sucked down or and bigger bubbles bleeding out. I notice nothing but a lot of very very tiny bubbles, which look like it's coming from maybe heat/vibration and I also notice steam. Maybe I'm not doing this thing right or my thermostat isn't working but then again....I dunno.I don't want to run it really any higher than half way on the temp gauge, because I get a little paranoid.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the tstat didn't open. You need to let it run longer, especially in the winter it may take longer to warm up. If your positive that it got up to temp, your tstat may be not functioning or hopefully you didn't manage to put it in backwards (unlikely). I'd give it another shot and try to get it hot

I have aluminum heads...this is why I very paranoid about letting it get too hot. I don't want to warp or screw up my heads.

I find it funny though...if I let it idle with my electric fan on constantly it takes what seems to be a million years to get to the hash below half way but if I ran it with the fan off...it will take 2-3 minutes it seems like to get to half way....even when I drive before I changed my radiator it would take a while to warm up with my fan constantly running and would take about 5-8 miles or so before it would come close to 1/4 hash (depending on the temp outside). Around here it about in the low 60s during the day on good days, but typically around mid-50s throughout the day and some of night.

I changed my radiator to accommodate space for when I install my Mark VIII fan. Just waiting on some stuff. Right now I have a 15" Flex-a-lite fan.

EDIT: No the Thermostat was not installed the wrong way.....The thermostat isn't that old and it wasn't a cheap on either.

Just stand by the radiator with extra coolant to add to the radiator when the thermostat opens. If you're paranoid have someone watch the temp gauge inside. I use an Air Lift so I never have that problem. :D

I didn't think you'd install it backwards (I only said that because there are people on here that are very capable of it,so you never know) I'd say have a friend watch the temp gauge but the tstat will open well before it will overheat

Hmmm I let it sit for a bit and I noticed after a while the coolant level rose from being at normally filled to a point where it's overflowing a bit. This is when it's hot and running around half way on the temp gauge.

I have aluminum heads...this is why I very paranoid about letting it get too hot. I don't want to warp or screw up my heads.

I find it funny though...if I let it idle with my electric fan on constantly it takes what seems to be a million years to get to the hash below half way but if I ran it with the fan off...it will take 2-3 minutes it seems like to get to half way....even when I drive before I changed my radiator it would take a while to warm up with my fan constantly running and would take about 5-8 miles or so before it would come close to 1/4 hash (depending on the temp outside). Around here it about in the low 60s during the day on good days, but typically around mid-50s throughout the day and some of night.

I changed my radiator to accommodate space for when I install my Mark VIII fan. Just waiting on some stuff. Right now I have a 15" Flex-a-lite fan.

EDIT: No the Thermostat was not installed the wrong way.....The thermostat isn't that old and it wasn't a cheap on either.

Unfortunately, I have been sold a bad t-stat before, wasn't a cheap one either. Things happen. Just a possiblity. Good luck, hopefully this was helpful.

Unfortunately, I have been sold a bad t-stat before, wasn't a cheap one either. Things happen. Just a possiblity. Good luck, hopefully this was helpful.

If the t-stat was bad wouldn't it heat up really quick if it's stuck closed? I've noticed since I changed to a 2 core from my previous 3 core (air flow reasons and adding a Mark VIII fan) I've noticed that it warms up quicker and it holds it's temp between the M and the A on the gauge and never goes higher if I'm sitting at a stop for any length.....I haven't tested this my driving over 10 or so miles but wouldn't the engine temp reach t-stat temp quicker and cool the aluminum 2 core radiator easier? I noticed my 3-core would take a looooong time to get close to the A even on the highway doing 75 on 4.10s, but the electric fan on warmer days (Flex-a-lite 15" electric fan) could not keep the 3 core cool I guess because the temp would get up to halfway or more and slowly keep raising.