Coolant Leak near back of engine

Globule

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
I have a coolant leak that I can't seem to trace down. It seems to be at the back of the engine, leaks onto the tranny, then leaks onto the ground. I've looked at the hoses around the throttle body and heater core and I don't see any leaks or holes in them. The leak seems to be very fast at times but sometimes much slower.

Anyone have any ideas on where it might be coming from?

• Sponsors (?)

If your sure it isn't the heater hoses (they do kind of fold up back there) then make sure it isn't the hard lines that run between the upper and lower intake manifolds, the hard lines I am talking about are what the heater hoses and EGR coolant hoses connect. If it isn't those I hate to tell you that it is either the lower intake manifold or worse case, the head gasket. I would pull the upper intake and do a pressure test and see what you get.

last idea: the heater core and a/c have a discharge tube, IIRC. it is like a tray deal inside the car which dumps outside the car, near the pass firewall.

If it is leaking from a little rubber hose on the firewall infront of the heater core, it is your heater core. It is a tell-tale hole put there to keep the green pool of death on your dirveway and not in your passenger compartment.

HISSIN50 said:
last idea: the heater core and a/c have a discharge tube, IIRC. it is like a tray deal inside the car which dumps outside the car, near the pass firewall.

This was my first thought also. The same thing happened to me adn finally I caught it leaking onto the header from the weap hole.

Globule said:
I have a coolant leak that I can't seem to trace down. It seems to be at the back of the engine, leaks onto the tranny, then leaks onto the ground. I've looked at the hoses around the throttle body and heater core and I don't see any leaks or holes in them. The leak seems to be very fast at times but sometimes much slower.

Anyone have any ideas on where it might be coming from?
you might have an external coolant leak coming from the head gasket.