cooling fan

tim96

Feb 25, 2019
St. Louis
So I just got a 2015 GT, the cooling fans turn on a few minutes after I start the car, before the engine warms up, and they tend to stay on...any ideas why it does that? Gonna try to reset the computer, but that seems too simple.....any one have this issue?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I know it's not normal....=) It's annoying. Did some research, said to "swap" relay's to see if that is bad, so I swapped it with the one for the wipers, went for a drive, the fan didn't come on, thought, cool, that fixed it, very next drive, doing it again....(and the wipers still work, so must not be a relay). Also noticing the AVG MPG window on the dash, the one that shows the MPG for the last 30 minutes, gets erased every time I turn the car off, no memory, but everything else works....that's not a big deal, but the fan is getting on my nerves, and don't want to burn them up. guess it could be the temperature sensor?? but the gauge reads fine, so not sure it can be that either.....might have to have it looked at....just bought the car on Friday....=)

Sounds like a communication problem with the modules in the car. Usually, it's just a bad connection in the harness or a bad ground. When the modules stop talking to each other they'll go into failure mode. That allows critical functions to still work...like your fans. Sometimes it won't set a check engine light and a basic scanner won't read the communication codes. It'll take a snap on scanner or other high end Modis...Autel...ie.

Most shops can access the codes....parts store scanners don't. Amazon may have a dongle and app that will read manufacturers codes. Good luck and keep us updated.

thanks buddy! I keep hearing guys say "check the codes"...what code....lol. No engine light, so maybe that is what I need to do, just check...I have a buddy that owns a shop, I haven't bugged him yet....I'll check that out, thanks!!