Cooling system overhaul

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now. Living in Florida my car is definetly subjected to high temperatures, and if I'm stuck in traffic on a really hot day it will start heating up.

So what I'm planning to do, is install a Mishimoto radiator, a 180 degree thermostat (one of those "balanced" ones) new hoses and Evans NPG coolant. This will keep the car cool now as well as being able to support the 306/HCI/Nitrous combo I plan to build.

What do you guys think of this setup? Any changes you would make?

I've got a Fluidyne with a 180* and love the set-up. Barely gets past N on the temp. guage.

You may want to do a better water pump too, like a Stewart or a FlowKooler.
One that has increased cooling compacity at idle.

I'm going to get a Tweecer RT down the line to handle that.

That, with a better radiator, better pump and 180 T stat you should be all set. I dont have an aftermarket gauge (yet, I will this spring) but Im also upgrading the cooling system. I already have a Stewart Pump but Im also getting the same radiator as you and I'll get a manual switch and set it to come on sooner when I get it dyno tuned.

well i would do it with mine, but when i bought mine they had the fan wired to have power w/ ignition on, takes awhile to get to temp
the module was gone and looks like the connector burnt up...
what amp switch is need to handle the load?

May want to get a manual fan switch or get a set up where you can have it kick on sooner. I belive the stock fans dont come on until 210

Yeah low speed about *208 and high speed comes on at *226 - way to hot. The flowkooler water pump requires 2 gaskets to clear the cover (i.e. keep from rubbing the cover) - at least mine did. I have a basically brand new flowkooler WP if interested let me know. I ended up using a stewart wp.