Correct power steering fluid

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you all for the info.

Question.
I plan on sucking out the existing fluid or as much as I can, filling with fresh, then repeating a few times. How much fluid does the pump need.
Does anyone have a link to video on flushing 71 - 73 Mustang fastback or a video that I can look up to help me even if not the exact year Mustang?

Getting confused which is not unusual.
I have read do not use ATF type transmission fluid use Type F.
When searching Type F power steering fluid the search either comes up with Type F Transmission fluid or just Power Steering fluid no type F. Also someone said don’t use power steering fluid.

So I should be using Type F transmission fluid just not ATF.?

Never have used P/S fluid but have added ATF. I am glad people said use Type F because my dip stick just shows use Automatic Transmission Fluid not Type F.
Today I suctioned out as much as I could, added new Type F, ran until warm. Suctioned out again, added new. I will run awhile and do it again a few more times. I don’t have a manual, not sure how much the system actual has in it. I do know I can’t suction to much at a time.

ATF has friction modifiers that are not good for the PS, use PS fluid.
Automatic Transmission Fluid = ATF (It does not mean Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms in this case.)
In older Ford’s, it does not mean Dextron or Mercon ATF. It means the same ATF as an automatic of the same make and year would use.

Last edited:
F Type for me. When I changed my rack I spent hours reading, and F Type was the verdict.

That’s not what the manufacturer info for vintage Fords or GM’s say. The newer stuff and imports often spec something different, but not our cars. Most of power steering fluids at the chemical idle are thinner and cheaper than bulk hydraulic fluid. This company might sell something better, or it still might be overpriced Type A equivalent lube.

True story Rosita, The ZF pumps always used Mercon The Eaton, Thompson and C2 pumps all used type F The Eaton was the real early one with the reservoir on the top like the full size cars of the early 60's The Thompson is the pencil neck pump and you all know the noisy C2. The ZF is the newer little one that comes on Fords now since about 1990-91 or since the 4.6 modular came out