Correct way to measure wheel offset & backspacing

txstang347

Aug 9, 2007
First off, am I correct in that + (positive) offset measures the distance from center to the outside (street side) of the wheel?

And - (negative) offset pushes the hub in towards the brakes, deep dish style?

Not real clear on backspacing. I'm assuming the amount of space from the hub mounting point to the lip of the rim. I'm assuming I need that # so I know if it will rub with suspension parts.

I'm in the process of gathering parts for an all disc 5 lug swap (99 - 04 PBR/disc/spindles up front) and I am really considering going with 03/04 Cobra IRS rear setup. I can't really decide what is more important to me, ride quality or stance and "the look". In the real world ride quality wins over "the look", but the '91 Mustang GT vert is not my daily driver so it's up in the air. I may have to go with an SN95 rear disc brake setup because of wheel spacing issues. I've read that SN95 setup adds .75" to the fox length and the IRS adds another .75" to the SN95 length. So about an 1 1/2" total with an IRS setup.

Anyways, on to the main question which is:

How do you measure for correct wheel offset and/or backspacing?

Would I measure from the axle hub to the outter lip of the fender well? Then what? How do I come up with a + offset nubmer?

In a perfect world I'd like them to be flush and not stick out, but I could live with 1/4" - 1/2" of rubber outside the wheel well.

Here's an example of what I don't want the stance to look like. This just doesn't look right to me (granted I don't think he's quite done with the setup):
My Fox INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION project - Corral Forums

This does't look too bad:
m5lp_0609_irs_43_z+irs_fox_body_mustang+test_fit.jpg

Oh, and the wheels I want to run in the rear are 18x10, +38mm Offset, 7.0" backspace. I know it's pushing it, but it would be kick ass!

• Sponsors (?)