Cost of a Decent Fox Body?

zu903

Mar 29, 2011
First off im new to the forum and have never owned a mustang, just jeeps. but this summer i want to do a decently fast project thinking about a f-100 or a fox body. But how much should i expect to spend on a 5.0 fox to get it up running and maybe a few things like exhaust , air intake ect nothing to major. also not including body work and paint. basically a street legal car for a nice weekend cruiser and a couple times a year take to the track.

Thanks, Zach

• Sponsors (?)

well it depends if you want to start off with a stock car and do the mods yourself OR buy something that someone else has already started on.

I paid $2600 for my notch last year. It was bone stock, but also (as I just found out) the engine needs some TLC. I've seen cars go for around $3500 - $4500 in better shape though. You might expect to pay a little more if there are mods done to the car such as heads/cam/intake, etc. It really just depends on the car.

I'd suggest cruising Craigslist for a while just to get an idea of what is out there and what people are wanting to get for cars and base a decision off of that.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

well it depends if you want to start off with a stock car and do the mods yourself OR buy something that someone else has already started on.

I paid $2600 for my notch last year. It was bone stock, but also (as I just found out) the engine needs some TLC. I've seen cars go for around $3500 - $4500 in better shape though. You might expect to pay a little more if there are mods done to the car such as heads/cam/intake, etc. It really just depends on the car.

I'd suggest cruising Craigslist for a while just to get an idea of what is out there and what people are wanting to get for cars and base a decision off of that.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

thanks, im basically trying to get a notch with a good tranny and engine.

also is there any typical places that rust or have problems on the 5.0 to look out for when looking at them.

Not really sure where rust issues are since I am fortunate enough not to have to deal with them. Hopefully some of the guys a little farther north will chime in on the rust issue.

also is there any typical places that rust or have problems on the 5.0 to look out for when looking at them.

The bottom of the footwells just behind the firewall LOVE to rust. Years of getting in a car with wet shoes tends to make water pool in these areas. This was the only place my car had any rust. It was bad enough that I needed to cut the sections out and weld in new sheet metal.

Check for tears in the torque boxes where the lower control arms mount to the body. Those take a beating too and should be reinforced with plates as one of your first modifications. Good luck finding a new ride.

It's not so much the cost, it's finding one that is straight, with no rust, that hasn't been wrecked or ragged out and in good mechanical condition... that's the challenge, just finding one.

your first fox you'll either pay to much or pay too little for

then you learn you wait years later you get the right one. I takes a while to find out what you really like anyway. What I wanted when I first baught a mustang and what I want today are mostly contrasting.

Around DFW most foxes average 2500 to 5000. Seems like people are just giving them away sometimes. I was questioned on a car I had for sale on rust issues even though it has been a Texas car it's whole life. The guy wanted pictures of the floor pans, bottom of the doors, bottom of the hatch and the shock towers.

It's not so much the cost, it's finding one that is straight, with no rust, that hasn't been wrecked or ragged out and in good mechanical condition... that's the challenge, just finding one.

Yup, I agree. Location is a big factor sometimes. Some places are sky high and some are pretty low depending on availability and all.

I'd pay what it takes to get a car with good condition paint and body with the right color interior.
The rest can be fixed fairly easy and cheap.
Body work and paint is can be very expensive, sometimes more than the car is worth.

For the price some fox body's go for these days....i'd rather own a 1994-1995 Cobra.

It's got 99% of the stuff i'd upgrade on a Fox already done to it and most are not overpriced like most fox body's in my area.

Where i live..the fox market is mostly a hoopty-mobile market. 150K mile fox mustangs with 13 previous owners, in need of paint, redneck exhaust, crappy interior, advertised as "clean" where the ad only lists the mods and no details about the actual car and then the owner askes $6000...when in reality it's a $2500 car tops.

For the price some fox body's go for these days....i'd rather own a 1994-1995 Cobra.

It's got 99% of the stuff i'd upgrade on a Fox already done to it and most are not overpriced like most fox body's in my area.

Where i live..the fox market is mostly a hoopty-mobile market. 150K mile fox mustangs with 13 previous owners, in need of paint, redneck exhaust, crappy interior, advertised as "clean" where the ad only lists the mods and no details about the actual car and then the owner askes $6000...when in reality it's a $2500 car tops.

Mike why you gotta talk about my car like that? :lol: