could this be the cause of my aod problems?

bubbaking

May 10, 2008
Well I finally got the "new" trans in there (aod in a '87 5.0) and went to try the shift points while i still had it on the stands and it still only shifts from 1st to 2nd, no 3rd or 4th. Then I got looking around under the hood and found this cable broke. Could that be the root of my problems or does it not matter that the white plastic inner part is broke? I know I need the bushing in the linkage but I had it zip tied in there for now so it does not move. If it does not matter about the cable what could cause it? If it is the cable what is the correct name for it and would autozone or advance have it or do I have to go to a trans shop?

• Sponsors (?)

Here are the pics, i forgot to attach them earlier, sorry.

Attachments

• linkage 1.jpg
    linkage 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 90
  • linkage 2.jpg
    linkage 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 82
Thats what i figured, however when i have it hooked up and have someone press the gas petal, the linkage on the trans moves so that is what making me wonder if that is the problem.

yea, my wording on that last reply was a little screwed up, its late. Basiclly I need to replace the cable even though when the throttle moves the linkage on the trans moves? I just cant figure out why there is that white plastic inner part to the cable, what purpose does that serve? Also I am playing hell trying to find a new cable, where would be a good place to look?

I just looked at my cable and yours is definitely broken; I guess the white part thats broken is a guide to keep the cable from binding, but you'll never get it to shift right w/o that bushing anyway

You have to have it adjusted so the tranny will operate at a certain pressure and you have to use a pressure gauge on the tranny to do this, I recommend having a trans. shop do it. Even if you adjust it without a gauge and the car feels like it shifts correctly the tranny will eventually burn up.

yea i figured it was broke. like i said earlier it will shift from first to second nice and smooth but after that the rpms just keep going up and not shift into third. what exactly does this damn cable even do?

The cable controls the shifts according to the throttle position. I just re-read your first post, how were you trying to adjust the shift points without being under the hood? You have to adjust it from the TB where the broken part is.

what i meant was I had the rear end on jack stands so the tires were off the ground and i basiclly accelerated like i would going down the road to see if everything would work properly since i just got the trans in. My bad, i didnt mean i was trying to adjust the shift points. So if i understand correctly the tv cable causes the trans to shift when the throttle is less then a certian point ex. w.o.t. With that being said it seems like if the cable is working/moving fine then the trans should shift right? Again, I am not an auto trans expert hence why I am asking. I am just trying to better understand. Now it is getting very late i better get some sleep before I confuse you or anyone else anymore. Hope that clears it up. Thanks for all the help so far and hopefully I can figure this out in the morning.

I went over there today and put a new bushing in and looked at the cable. It looks like the only thing on it that is busted is the plastic coating that keeps the cable from fraying if it comes in contact with anything. When the accelerator is pressed the linkage on the trans operates fine. Could it be the valve body?

i adjusted it following the way showen here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw According to him, it is how they set it at the factory. If you know a better way I am all ears (not being sarcasic). After I try that what else should I look towards? The guy I bought the trans from claims the only way I could have this problem is if i bent something when i swapped the linkage. I know for a fact that nothing is bent because I was EXTREMLY careful so i didnt wind up in this position. Again thanks for all the help so far.