Couple questions....wheres the chip?,MAF

epurdy2005

Apr 3, 2004
Well I just got done putting a new oil pan on because the other one was rusted out.....Worst job ever!....Anyways everything back together accept the exhaust because the bolts broke...but i started it up and it ran decent that night i thought...loud as expected...well i took it to the muffler shop to get the exhaust hooked up......but now its idling back and forth with the check engine light on.....I noticed when i bought the car it seemed sluggish for a 5.0 5 speed.....now that the check engine light is on the car is fast as hell..but it won't stay running when you stop...

I'm thinking MAF or 02 sensors but i also need to know if a 95 5.0 can be read at the store with a code reader?.........one more question...The guy said this car might have been chipped...would i need to get that programmed since the battery was taken out for over a week? also where is the computer so i can see if its chipped?..............Thanks!

Evan

• Sponsors (?)

you should be able to use a fancy code reader from the parts store.

just take the car there and use it out in the parking lot. the one our oreilly's has is a fancy one that tells you what the code means etc, its easy to use. just plug it in the diagnostic plugs and you should be able to figure out how the code reader works or one of the employees can help you.

or your can jump the plugs and count the CEL flashes with the key on.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

as far as what is it. if it was the MAF on the fritz the car would run like crap at part and would suffer a power loss under WOT, the EEC would be running in limp/failure mode, the MAFS is most important sensor for fuel calculations in OL and WOT and it isnt feeding correct feedback to the EEC the EEC will run like crap b/c there isnt accurate info to make fuel calculations from.
The EEC will try and remember back in the past and what worked best and try to run from that in failure mode to make the car driveable.
but if the battery was unplugged and the data was cleared then it has nothing to go off of if its been running with this CEL condition since its been ran. so its going to run even worse.

an o2 problem wont affect WOT, at WOT the ECU doesnt look at the o2s to make PW calculations. the o2s are only for mainting stoichiometric AFRs at a closed loop idle and crusing state.

it sounds like an o2 problem since the exhaust was messed with.

A chip will be installed in the J3 port, which is on the side of the ecu opposite of the harness.

If anything was plugged in between the harness and ecu, you would probably know about it already...

Pull your codes...

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

B.jpg

F.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-7208-90-equus-digital-ford-code-reader-3145.aspx – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

A chip will be installed in the J3 port, which is on the side of the ecu opposite of the harness.

If anything was plugged in between the harness and ecu, you would probably know about it already...

Pull your codes...

didnt know that. the only chip or anything close i have ever seen was a jet module that plugged into the top of the ecm and the harness plugged into that.

here is what im talking about. but i guess technically its called a module not a chip

http://www.jegs.com/p/JET/748565/10002/-1

I have the plug on the inside of the car so which two do I jump to get the code? I hate to take it to auto zone with the way its running. I have to burn the clutch everytime i take off to keep it running.I took the kickpanel off and didn't see anything that looks like it was added.(everything had the same amount of dust on it)....

didnt know that. the only chip or anything close i have ever seen was a jet module that plugged into the top of the ecm and the harness plugged into that.

here is what im talking about. but i guess technically its called a module not a chip

http://www.jegs.com/p/JET/748565/10002/-1

The main pic they show isn't for a Fox ecu... not sure what it's for :shrug:
If you scroll down that page a little to the Fox Mustang section, they do show a pic of a J3 chip/module...

I have the plug on the inside of the car so which two do I jump to get the code? ...
Please elaborate on what plugs and where they are in the car...

I took the kickpanel off and didn't see anything that looks like it was added.(everything had the same amount of dust on it)....
You won't see the chip until you remove the ecu. As the ecu sits in the car, the chip is on the very top edge....

I'm thinking MAF or 02 sensors but i also need to know if a 95 5.0 can be read at the store with a code readerEvan
You should contact a mod to have this thread moved to the 94-95 tech section.