cowl vent

lidflipr

Dec 31, 2003
Peoria Az
I have a 65 coupe that the cowl vent is one piece with the body that I am going to repaint teh inside of the vent.
? is
1.how do I get all the junk out of the vent
2.how would I paint it
Thanks for any tips I am in the process of stripping the out side vent fins the bottom of the cowl vent is all chipped and looks bad.

• Sponsors (?)

You "could" remove the windshield, cut out about 100 spot welds, clean it out, paint it, weld it back and reinstall the glass....

You "could" also remove the driver's vent and the heater box, clean it out the best you can, and the after the car is painted use an airbrush to "fill in" the light areas missed by the spray gun...

You "could" also not worry about the paint, like 99% of the rest of us. Most people are simply thrilled to have cowls that don't leak all over the place.

GaPonyFarm said:
I went with option #1 also, but I was hating life for about two weeks. The worst part of that option is that you can get it all back together and still have a darn leak sneak in around the side panels!

Even after you put seam sealer on all the seams? I can't say as I have actually driven in the rain since doing them, but here's hoping... :shrug:

Frank

When we tore my cowl off we painted underneath it when we replaced the cowl panels. Painted it the same color as the car....white, blue stripes. We welded the cowl back on. When the car is painted, im taking a sheet up through the cowl vents to cover what was painted so no overspray gets on it from painting the car.

If you just want it to look nice.....get a can of rustoleum and dump it in from the cowl vent :)

Frankies65 said:
Even after you put seam sealer on all the seams? I can't say as I have actually driven in the rain since doing them, but here's hoping... :shrug:

Frank

It was a minor problem with the water draining around the cowl, down along the edge of the door frame and into the car from behind the upper door hinge. Only happened when driving (air pressure?), but I finally found the water tracks and fixed it..