crank fitting problem in 302 roller cam block

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2636.JPG
ok i am not familiar with the roller blocks,but while getting ready to check clearances on this i discovered the crank will not work with this block. this was supposed to be the crank that came out of this block,that i disassembled.the machine shop must have machined the wrong crank. now the problem is it has already been ballanced so i am wondering if the flange at the rear seal race on the crank can be turned down with out causing any problems?

• Sponsors (?)

that crank did not come out of that block. what you have is an early crank with a two piece oil seal, and the block is a later block with a one piece oil seal. you can have the crank modified to fit the block though with no issue, just have a machine shop grind off the oil slinger.

the shop balanced it with the correct new balancer for the crank .we are building a road race 65 coupe. i will have some specs. comming up. it will be a mild build but still putting out about 450 hp.because we are also planning on using it for autocross
we will be using a high torque cam for quick response. the block as you know is a roller block,forged 10 1/2 -1 pistons 77 cleevites motor sport true roller chain set and world heads.edelbrok intake holly carb. with comp cam and lifters. the coupe is striped out and caged with Pro G suspension, fiberglass doors ,hood ,trunk lid and end caps ,r model front valance.very light and should be a lot of fun .i will see if i can get some pics soon.

as long as all the parts used were balanced together, even if you have a 50oz crank and 28oz flywheel and balancer, or any combination of the three, there should be no issue.

as long as all the parts used were balanced together, even if you have a 50oz crank and 28oz flywheel and balancer, or any combination of the three, there should be no issue.

i would be absolutely pissed if i took 28 oz parts into a shop for a balance job and walked out with a 50 oz imbalance (or more weight in the flywheel and damper whatever it ended up at). especially if i was planning out a 302 for 450 hp and was going to be spinning it to 7000 rpm +.

got the crank back with the slinger turned down .the internals will be 28 oz all the way,balancer to the fly wheel so no problem there .the balancing was done at another shop from the machine shop.they orderd the new race preped rods and a new balancer
to match the crank so should be smooth sailing from here on out. the problem started when the crank had to be sent out to be turned and that shop returned the early crank. it went straight to the balancing shop without me seeing it first ,wont make that mistake again . now i am ready to check clearances and assemble . any time you send a motor part out for machining mark it especially if you want that part back

i would be absolutely ****ed if i took 28 oz parts into a shop for a balance job and walked out with a 50 oz imbalance (or more weight in the flywheel and damper whatever it ended up at). especially if i was planning out a 302 for 450 hp and was going to be spinning it to 7000 rpm +.

i think you missed my point. you can take a 28oz crank, and use a 50oz balancer and a zero balance flywheel, AS LONG AS they are all balanced together as a unit.

IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
the slinger is a true round cut ,will not affect the balance. after a long day the internals
have been checked for tollerences and installed .went smooth as can be up untill good old # 8 pistion and rod install.my brand ass new ring compressor broke and cut my finger.could not find a band aid .a bit of paper towl and masking tape,thats a shop made emergency band aid, and it was back to work. cam is very well lubed and in and so is the motor sport roller chain and gears. still waiting on the racing oil pan and suction tube so thats about it for now. other than the crank fiasco and the cut finger no problems.the machine shop did a very nice job on the tollerences no issues at all.
the rotating assembly turn smooth and free.

we found a rendering on the web,it is almost dead on what we want out of this coupe .with a few minor changes. the color scheme is just about right on except we will be adding a red pin stripe at the outer edge of the center stripes.we are planning a custome rear valance with the exhaust exiting somewhat like the 67 gt and a custome r model front valance .the head lights will remain factory and a set of custome side scoops that will duct air to the rear brakes. the hood will be the 65-66 with a 67 shelby type scoop in fiber glass. we already have fiberglass doors on the car. i have decided to go in with Stang-Aholics on this racer ,i just don't have the funds to pull it off on my own. we are going all out on this one . ron has already instaled a full tci suspension.
150815_528532483853510_132912121_n.jpg

i don't have the motor finnished any further than the last pics i am waiting on a custome oil pan from Canter ,supposed to be here monday. ron is going to send me some pics of the suspension components when they come back from getting a custome coating.i will get some pics of the car soon next time i go to the shop