Crank no start after warm up

88GTFOX

Jul 27, 2020
Lima, Ohio
I have with an issue with an 88 where it dies suddenly while at idle and will crank but not fire. When it dies, it’s not sputtering or running rough at all and seems as if it loses spark. There is pressure in the fuel rail and the fuel pump is running. After sitting for some time, it will fire right up and eventually die again at some point once it is warmed up.
I had replaced the ignition module, plugs, wires, cap, rotor when I bought the car and have maybe 50 miles on these components. I just swapped the coil for a new one and had the new module tested and it was fine yesterday but still has the same issue. I just got the car back from a shop that pulled the top end and had my heads re worked, new gaskets etc. One thing I noticed after going through and checking everything was that there was no pressure in the upper radiator hose when the car was at operating temp and it looks like they filled the system with straight water and never went back and filled with coolant, also no heat with the blower motor on. I have not checked for injector pulse yet because I didn’t have anybody to crank it for me. Would the PIP sensor fail this way?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes the pip can be suspect but so can the tfi so for the abcs do the ncc, no it's not a new hip hop dance, it's the famous Cranks but no Start Checklist:
Start at the beginning and go step by step.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes the pip can be suspect but so can the tfi so for the abcs do the ncc, no it's not a new hip hop dance, it's the famous Cranks but no Start Checklist:
Start at the beginning and go step by step.
I will go through the checklist again, that’s how I found a bad TFI before I had my heads redone.

I learned that here from @jrichker (I already knew about but now have a better understanding) I don't give him and others enough props for the tech advice they has shared in the tech threads.

I learned that here from @jrichker (I already knew about but now have a better understanding) I don't give him and others enough props for the tech advice they has shared in the tech threads.
What is a good quality brand pickup coil I can try? I took apart my dizzy to rebuild. I don’t want to do all of this to put a cheapo low quality pip coil back in it.