Engine crank pulley spacing

• Sponsors (?)

When using a universal balancer [ie one that will fit 260,302,351 ect.] they come with the short length for early installs and spacers to move the crank pulley out for the late model stuff. Very common and I myself am using one, because most of them come with removable counter weights for those of us doing internal balance installs.

Im using and Summit Racing balancer that came with spacers, largest measuring 0.092, just installed another that came in yesterday at 0.95. Im moving the correct direction but the belt seems to be riding the back edge of the water pump pulley and chewing up the accessory belt. Im not sure if the water pump is slightly out of spec(good old remanufactured unit) or the vortech crank pulley is slightly off. Hard to tell from the image I added but there is a rust line on the water pump pulley front edge where the belt should run.

Attachments

• IMG_9596.JPG
    IMG_9596.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 258
you can get away with using washers to space the pulley out as well but i would not get carried away stacking them. it will work to get you lined up then you can measure the thickness of the adapter needed.

Im using and Summit Racing balancer that came with spacers, largest measuring 0.092, just installed another that came in yesterday at 0.95. Im moving the correct direction but the belt seems to be riding the back edge of the water pump pulley and chewing up the accessory belt. Im not sure if the water pump is slightly out of spec(good old remanufactured unit) or the vortech crank pulley is slightly off. Hard to tell from the image I added but there is a rust line on the water pump pulley front edge where the belt should run.
From your picture, it appears the water pump pulley is the one out of line.
How long has that water pump been in there?
I just replaced mine, timing chain cover, all the fasteners, power steering pump, e-fan & rebuilt SC tensioner.
Looks something like my most recent setup, except my supercharger pulley is larger & there's an auto tensioner.
IMG_1695.JPG

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
@Blown88GT I thought the same, when i had the belt off spun it and checked for movement, nothing. I replaced it 2 years ago and probably only have 7000miles on it. Ended up everything out with 1 thin washer, not the way to like to do it but it works for now.

It's an issue of "stackup tolerances". If all the replacement parts are on the plus (or minus) side, something is not going to fit right. This is why I had to replace the Mark VIII fan with the Contour Fan. The DCC Controller (FK-35, S/N #2) is now behind the passenger side headlamp.