Crazy Buzzing Noise From Speakers with no radio WTFFFFF

stangbro916

Feb 26, 2018
Hello Stang Freaks, I got one for ya...so I have a 98 Stang I did the Mark Viii swap with. Car is my daily and even with my ghetto craftsmanship has been running good since the white trash swap back in August.
The problem:
Yesterday I got home from work and decided to rewire my intake air sensor. I unplugged positive terminal (my negative is a mess and I try not to touch it). I extended the wires and hooked up the sensor, proceeded to hook battery up. Immediately all the speakers pretty much start making a bass powered hum as soon as I hook the battery up. WIth no key in ignition and I even pulled my deck out so the stereo isn't even on. On top of that if I try to start it I can hear my starter spin but it's not engaging so somehow maybe the wire shorted out and killed it. I do have an oil leak that has caused my starter to fail in the past but I think the timing is strange as the car was fine and not showing any developing issues with starter. I pulled neg terminal and made sure ground etc was ok as that has given me issues. But as soon as I plug it up HUMMMMMM. I pop started the car and the car idles and starts fine. Local mustang shop is trumped. Has anyone dealt with this? If I wiggle the positive terminal wires the buzzing slightly changes in tone so I think I need to start there. Let me know what you think!! Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some information that may prove vital to finding what is obviously a weak electrical connection somewhere in the charging system.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

The important thing here is to understand the concept of the test. The part that throws most people is the idea of putting the VOM leads on the same DC polarity side. IE negative to negative. Or positive to positive.

I really suspect that the electrical devices inside the car are not getting there full system voltage.

I experienced that a dying alternator causes a buzz on the am radio and cassette - perhaps it could do this without a radio, just going to the speakers? I had read this, and thought no way - but got on a trip, alternator gauge went to the left, batt light came on - and I didn't get much further -

I experienced that a dying alternator causes a buzz on the am radio and cassette - perhaps it could do this without a radio, just going to the speakers? I had read this, and thought no way - but got on a trip, alternator gauge went to the left, batt light came on - and I didn't get much further -
Yeahi just unplugged the rear amps and havent had an issue. Today the locks started spazzing out. Thing is a nightmare

Check all connections and plugs. This can easily be the issue. A wire might not have a solid connection. Check your amp plugs, the plugs going into the back of the radio, any fuse connections anywhere wires are spliced and even check your battery terminal connections. One of the metal clamps could be cracked. I had a similar issue with my stang having weird power on and off issues randomly. My terminal connection was cracked and it wasn't holding a secure clamp to the post on the battery. Went and bought new clamps and fixed the problem. I'd start there to make sure everything has a solid connection, then start troubleshooting.