Crazy IDLE. NEED HELP!

Piston

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2001
Chicago Suburbs
Alright so I broke in my new 331 besides the idle surging at times it was mostly relatively calm. I was driving to my hockey game on the highway going 60mph for about 20 mins. Then I got on to a 50mph street and my check engine light came on. I then noticed that my car was idling at 3500 RPMs which it was set to idle about 1000rpm. I have an Anderson PMS and that gives me an error code for the MAF (E:2000). However I checked all the connections on it and it seems to be connected right. I have not physically pulled out the cold air kit since I have an anderson power pipe the maf is down in the wheel well and it's hard to get at so i just felt to see if all connections were made. Now the interesting thing is the car is idling at 3500rpms with the TB fully closed?!? Any ideas on what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

Being that you got an error 2000 (which points to no MAF signal), I'd chase down the connector and test the wires out with a voltmeter to insure they are working properly.

You can find the Anderson PMS manual HERE!!!

HELP

Alright I checked the wires they are fine. The idle acts no different. After reconnecting everything I started her up and the car idled at 1500 with the TB in the closed postion (Idle screw not touching the stop). Then I gave the car some gas to 2k it studdered a bit and it stayed at 2k and then I step a bit more on the gas and it went to 3k and stayed there till I killed it. I'm really fresh out of ideas on what the problem can be?

#1. Call Anderson and get clarification on E#2000.
#2. Check for vacuum leaks with either a guage and/or a can of carb cleaner sprayed at all gaskets along the intake path.
#3. While you're talking to Rick, schedule time to get your motor tuned. I'm sure they will find the issue.
#4. Integrate your subframe connectors with your seats... :bs:

Da Eagle

IAC = Idle Air Control, all this nifty little job does is regulate a computer controlled vacuum leak. If its shot, or stuck in place, PRESTO - you have a vacuum leak. I am uncertain if you can take apart or even clean a Ford IAC.

Does anyone out there know if a 95 IAC is serviceable?

Eagle_5.4 said:
IAC = Idle Air Control, all this nifty little job does is regulate a computer controlled vacuum leak. If its shot, or stuck in place, PRESTO - you have a vacuum leak. I am uncertain if you can take apart or even clean a Ford IAC.

Does anyone out there know if a 95 IAC is serviceable?

I was going to dump carb cleaner on mine. I heard that S|HT works on everything from this crazy hillbilly I know. :rlaugh:

NO SOLUTION YET...

Alright went to Auto Zone bought a new IAC and installed it on the car here is what happened. I had the battery unhooked overnight hoping the computer would reset itself which it did or so I think. The TB idle control screw was basically removed and the TB is fully closed. Now I start the car and it idled at 1500 of the bat which was kinda high since the screw was out. Now it stayed there for a while then slowly rose up 300 rpms or so. Then I gave the car some gas and brought the car up to 3000rpms and car studdered on it's way up but then the idle stayed there. I was watching my pms and about after 30seconds the same error appeared. So this IAC didn't do anything for me. The next thing I did was unplug the maf completely from the harness that goes into the fender. Nothing changed the car acted completely the same. Strange I thought. Now the only other thing that has occured to me is that I never used a gasket between the 94/95 intake elbow and the RPMII intake. Instead I used clear rtv. The clear rtv still looks like it's good but I guess I can't say if it is or not. Would the couple of thermal cycles and heat in the engine bay kill this clear rtv seal? I can't really hear a leak there but it could be from below and I can't hear **** when the car is idling at 3000k it's a loud a$$ motha. I'm really confused what the problem is any help will be appreciated. :shrug:

Get the MAF checked to see if its still functioning properly. If the car runs the same without it connected at all, you either have a wiring problem from the ECM/PMS to the MAF, or the MAF is shot... IMO.

Your 2nd choice is to drop the coin for the tool for pulling codes from the factory computer.

:damnit:

Ugh... It sounds to me like you might need a new MAF sensor, if those symptoms are occuring and it is throwing that code at you still.. Tough to say, though.

Oh, and check your hyphenufenator valve. Sometimes that helps. :bs: