Cruise control relocation

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
Anybody ever moved the cruise control buttons off the steering wheel to someplace else. Reason is that I want to install one of the SVO style steering wheels without the buttons on my 86GT. I was thinking maybe in the ashtray or possibly in place of the little warning light cluster in the front of the console. Im just kind of looking for ideas and pictures if possible. Im also wondering if I will be able to remove the factory switches from the wheel or if I will have to come up with different switches.

• Sponsors (?)

yes...i did it i have to look for the pic tho....i put the switches under the light switch area...and you also have to put in a horn button cuz it all in one..if i remember it was kind of a pain in tha ars, cuz of the wiring...but it has worked for the past 3 years.....

yes...i did it i have to look for the pic tho....i put the switches under the light switch area...and you also have to put in a horn button cuz it all in one..if i remember it was kind of a pain in tha ars, cuz of the wiring...but it has worked for the past 3 years.....
Hey, super dead topic, but after 12 years I’m looking to do the same tho… can you share as much info as you have in regards to the topic?

How did you wire it? And if you have any pics of how it turned out that would be amazing!

He hasn’t been here in a few years.

There are three wires in the steering column you need to intercept. They switches themselves use specific resistances which cause the various cruise functions to work. I’ve seen folks mount them in the ashtray area under the ashtray door.

This thread has all the specific wiring diagrams and shows you how the switches function. The tricky part will be retaining horn function along with the cruise as they share the same wiring.

The 86 non-cruise wheel shares the same horn contact plate and brushes as the 87-89 mustang, so horn should be plug and play. You just need to tap into the right wires and extend.

To throw a monkey wrench into all this, the wiring colors in the evtm don’t match up in certain years.

I did it a few years back in my '89. Relocated them and it worked fine and I used a Momo horn button. I found 3 old pics.
You can see 'em behind the hanging key.......

P6150009.jpg

To the left of the heater controls.............

P6150006.jpg

Here's a shot head on..............

P6150005.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
He hasn’t been here in a few years.

There are three wires in the steering column you need to intercept. They switches themselves use specific resistances which cause the various cruise functions to work. I’ve seen folks mount them in the ashtray area under the ashtray door.

This thread has all the specific wiring diagrams and shows you how the switches function. The tricky part will be retaining horn function along with the cruise as they share the same wiring.

The 86 non-cruise wheel shares the same horn contact plate and brushes as the 87-89 mustang, so horn should be plug and play. You just need to tap into the right wires and extend.

To throw a monkey wrench into all this, the wiring colors in the evtm don’t match up in certain years.

I’m actually shocked this thread came back alive that quickly, thank you for the info.

Seems like the kind of stuff I need to dive in head first to try to understand and supplement with forums and info from you guys when I get stuck!

With enough motivation and dedication in sure I can drive it in the garage and make sure that car never moved again

Seriously, thanks!

I did it a few years back in my '89. Relocated them and it worked fine and I used a Momo horn button. I found 3 old pics.
You can see 'em behind the hanging key.......

P6150009.jpg

To the left of the heater controls.............

P6150006.jpg

Here's a shot head on..............

P6150005.jpg
Although different application, man I gotta say your build came out super clean, congrats, I’ll be posting pics of what I accomplish as I go!

If I accomplish anything that it

There's a guy on the corral that was making the cruise adapter for momo wheels.
Not sure what an SVO style wheel is, but i would consider a momo monte carlo style wheel and the adapter instead.
Looks and operates right.

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty cool that it's normally available, i remember when the saleen guys would pay hundreds for them. Maybe one day i'll make my cruise work again, it just won't be right now.