Electrical Cruise control

• Sponsors (?)

I never had an aod. I can't imagine they have a clutch cut off switch though. I'd imagine that since the VSS runs off of the speedo cable, that's probably the same, though. I can show you pictures of my stuff from a T5 if that's relevant. Hopefully somebody's smarter than me can answer specifically the differences.

EEC has to know when the clutch is pushed in to disengage the cruise or the motor would rev to the moon. Both AOD and T5 cars have a vacuum switch on the brake pedal which disengages the cruise control and we have all used this. This switch is adjustable so if your cruise has quit this is one of the things to check along with the fuse for the cruise module.

When you switch from an AOD to a T5 there is a switch on the clutch pedal that has room for (2) two wire plugs. I believe this was addressed in your other post but one is part of the starter interrupt circuit and the other is part of the neutral sense circuit for the EEC. There is another switch on the quadrant side of the clutch and that switch is part of the cruise control interrupt circuit.

Good discussion on the different switches here:

Again, there is a neutral gear switch on the top plate of most V8 T5's. The wiring for this will not be present in 91-93 4 cylinder cars as I stated in your other post so that should be added as the EEC for a V8 car is looking for it so you can get a hanging idle if it is not wired in.

Reactions: 1 user
@AeroCoupe On the neutral gear switch, I'd read some old Jrichker stuff that led me to believe that the only time this is relevant is when doing some kind of EEC test functions and that it otherwise doesn't have an impact during operation. Did I misunderstand?

FWIW, that switch is not connected on my '03 Cobra T56. I have only plugged in the reverse lockout & the VSS signal wires, which I had to do a lot of signal converting for. That's all covered in my thread on Black Jack, of which I think you're already aware. To the point, I have not noticed any hanging idle issues or other ill effects from the neutral switch to this point.

I never had an aod. I can't imagine they have a clutch cut off switch though. I'd imagine that since the VSS runs off of the speedo cable, that's probably the same, though. I can show you pictures of my stuff from a T5 if that's relevant. Hopefully somebody's smarter than me can answer specifically the differences.
Since the car was swapped from aod to t5 I guess what I'm asking is.... what needs to be done or added for the cruise to work. Guy that built it says one plug needs to be added/ hooked up and it should work. I don't know. I can work on a lot of car stuff. But stuff like this/ electrical isn't my cliche. Pics could be helpful if you didn't mind.
Thank you

Right, if an AOD the harness gets a plug where the clutch switch would be
So the T5 needs the clutch dump switch
There is a lot to diagnosis for the speed control
Here are some diagrams from a1990 truck EVTM
The locations will be wrong, but the schematic will be basically the same

speed control 1990.jpg
speed control 2.jpg
speed control 4.jpg
speed control 5.jpg

The only change that has to be made when going from AOD to 5-spd is the cruise cancel switch on the right hand side of the pedal box. When you swap to the 5-spd pedals, make sure this switch is attached otherwise it’s a PItA to do after the fact.

Photo of that switch here on right side

7BE5408D-4869-49B2-A2EB-274EABBF85E8.png

On the AOD cars you’ll find the plug clipped to the vertical support brace under the dash. Red wire with green stripe. There is a jumper in place.

Remove jumper, connect to above clutch switch.

Done.

That’s the only change. All the other circuits remain the same. Cruise is not incorporated into the two plugs (NGS, starter circuit) on the left hand side of the pedal box. You’ll need to connect those to the clutch switch anyway as part of the 5-spd swap regardless

• Useful
The only change that has to be made when going from AOD to 5-spd is the cruise cancel switch on the right hand side of the pedal box. When you swap to the 5-spd pedals, make sure this switch is attached otherwise it’s a PItA to do after the fact.

On the AOD cars you’ll find the plug clipped to the vertical support brace under the dash. Red wire with green stripe. There is a jumper in place.

Done.

That’s the only change. All the other circuits remain the same. Cruise is not incorporated into the two plugs (NGS, starter circuit) on the left hand side of the pedal box. You’ll need to connect those to the clutch switch anyway as part of the 5-spd swap regardless

Done.

Thank you for the info. It is greatly appreciated. Do you know the name of that part or a part number. All i can find for a clut h switch is this.. Def not the part in your pic.

Last edited:

You are the man!!! You've been a great help to me! ! Hell all of you have!! Can I get your name? Thank you all!!!
Stay tuned I'm sure I have more questions coming!!

Thank you for the info. It is greatly appreciated. Do you know the name of that part or a part number. All i can find for a clut h switch is this.. Def not the part in your pic.
Do you have any pics of this switch installed on right side of pedal box? What does it connect too? Brake pedal? Is this the switch that cuts cruise off when brake is pressed? Sorry for all the questions but I just don't know anything about this. I'm guessing it's gonna be a PItA cause pedal assembly is already in car when bought...

All the wiring diagrams and some pics are in here

• Useful
Do you have any pics of this switch installed on right side of pedal box? What does it connect too? Brake pedal? Is this the switch that cuts cruise off when brake is pressed? Sorry for all the questions but I just don't know anything about this. I'm guessing it's gonna be a PItA cause pedal assembly is already in car when bought...

Check out this auction. It has the parts attached.

Cruise cutoff goes on pass side of pedal box. In front of the brake pedal is the vacuum dump valve, and there is a little clip that attaches to the brake pedal to depress it.

Those parts can be tricky to find.