Curious overheating issue... possibly an electric problem?

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
I installed an electric fan a couple weeks back and any time at all I could turn the fan on and cool everything enough that the coolant gauge would drop to the "A" in normal (yes I plan on getting a new gauge ASAP). Even when driving on the pkwy as long as I have my fan on the temp gauge stays between the "R" and "M". I've been driving it this way for about a week, no problems.

Yesterday I noticed the coolant gauge climbs right up to the "N", oddly enough it jumps up faster when I turn the e fan on or if I turn on the heater. After letting the car sit for hours, enough that it would cool down, I turned the car on and immediately it jumped up and started to get hot even with the e fan on. I guessed it's either the water pump or a problem with the gauges... I've read about possible ground problems with the gauges which could explain why the gauge reads hotter when I turn on the electric fan right?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a gauge issue. I recently put in a Summit brand digital water temp gauge. The Summit brand gauge works great and was cheaper than autometer. Also if your still on the original radiator you may want to look at it. When I got my car my radiator was plugged up with chunks of rubber and other road debris. I pulled the radiator and hosed out the fins and it made a world of difference.

I just recently cleaned up the radiator, about two weeks ago... I know I need to get the coolant system flushed out. I just found out it isn't the gauges, I went to put in a new thermostat today and it looked like the radiator was bone dry, wtf? It took a little over 3 gallons to fill it back up. Ever since I rebuilt the engine I constantly check to see if I'm burning coolant no white smoke or anything though. I haven't seen any leaks, puddles, nothing... and suddenly there's no coolant? I filled it back up and although the car started running pretty warm while I drove it, I still couldn't see any leaks or smoke, I'm going to let it cool a little then pop the cap again to see where my level is. What gives??