Engine Cylinder Head Cracked Lifter Bore

shipracer

Feb 21, 2019
socal
Im working on having my engine rebuilt, I initially had a different machine shop do my cylinder heads (new valve stem seals), clean/cut/inspect. Got them back, and was going to install them myself but pivoted and had the whole bottom end rebuilt also. The engine shop Im using is just starting to put things back together and they find this cracked lifter bore( driver side).

Has anyone seen this before?
What would cause that?
Are there any coolant passages behind/near this bore?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,

Well, on a positive note, (2) brand new, fully assembled 4.6/5.4 SOHC PI Heads & Cam(s) are 700$ (Or less) 4.6L Motors (+PI Intake upgrade ron 96’-98’’s).
All 99’-04’s run PI setup. What year is this, a Windsor or Romeo, already a PI setup?
Motor have major noise & drivability issues prior to disassembly, lots of sludge. or did you pull it to build or refresh it?
1st time I’d ever seen damage of type in a Stock SOHC 4.6L, & appeared like physical impact by shops mishandling or acute part fail & fragment causing damage, porous Casting, Cold coolant added to a very hot motor, Blown gasket vapor locking Cylinder forced Valve into seat aggressively come to mind as reasons, unless you’ve other details.
D4865B82-DCEC-47C9-8A19-101F08BE6FDB.jpeg

Zoomed in on another lifter bore, RT side This a crack or a scratch?
A Shop INSPECTED these? I’d veto Get your $$ back- never return...
-John

Good find, that does look like another crack.

This was a boosted 8PSI vortech V3 4.6 2v. Though Ive been through a two other stock motors and never seen this.

The heads you see above and engine, was a 30k "used" engine, but I think i got ripped off, and it was a high high milage engine that had previous over heating issues.

Good find, that does look like another crack.

This was a boosted 8PSI vortech V3 4.6 2v. Though Ive been through a two other stock motors and never seen this.

The heads you see above and engine, was a 30k "used" engine, but I think i got ripped off, and it was a high high milage engine that had previous over heating issues.
Hi,
I’ts a pretty catastrophic failure, I’d agree the seller was less than honest. I’d ask the Shop building it what their impression was during teardown, they’ll have a good idea as to what occurred by various telltale signs in the parts & Block.
Right way to reliable is a reputable shop building it specific to handle power adders. Heads will increase cost, but not largely. “Get what you pay for”, I’d revise by adding “in material value per pound when recycled”.
Not a lot of 4.6’s being rebuilt, could snap some Pic’s & start a build thread, may help another avoid the same. I wish you luck in your build, if you need a source for reasonably priced new Ford PI Heads, try Summit or AM, etc. Feel free to ask if questions arise, go after that 1st Shop.
Good luck!
-John

Thats the thing. My original plan was to just replace the blow head gasket and cylinder head bolts (cometic and arp) myself (i would of been completely screwed putting those heads back on with those cracks) .. so i pulled the heads, sent them to a machine shop local, they gave them back, sat covered in the bags they gave them to me in. I decided to have the bottom end pulled and upgraded/repaired... I brought the heads and all parts to the engine builders shop, and they noticed the lifters were used in one head, so we ordered new lifters, when they went to install the lifters, they noticed the cracks etc.. advised me. Looking at a used cylinder head for $125 or a rockauto refurbed one.

Picture of shortblock:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-_8PTZ0L7jhG6WeI80LON7bglaftbzP_/view?usp=sharing