Progress Thread Dad Daughter Project

GiddyUpGirl

Oct 2, 2018
Nebraska
Hello all!

I created this account for my daughter who turned 15 today. We purchased a 2001 convertible for her last night. I think we picked a lemon in the garden of love so I am not sure whether we will keep it or not. Our plan was to find a car that needed some tinker work and spend the year getting it going and teaching her shade tree mechanics but I have realized that the PO seriously misrepresented the condition of the car since having spent the day with it.

First I would like to thank everybody for all the good information posted on Stangnet, I was able to get the convertible top working by adding some Dex in it today! This was a win in a day of otherwise bad news discoveries regarding this car. I paid $2000 for almost 200,000 miles, it looks decent except for the front bumper cover is off another car, missing fasteners and there is obvious damage behind it. I put 4 new tires on it today and had an alignment done.

The bad:
When I parked it today I noticed I left the lights on, went to turn them off and the switch and ignition were off. From reading the forums, it sounds like I need to locate the DRL module but I haven't found mention of where it is yet.

Both exhaust manifolds have cracks.

Acceleration seems sluggish but I have never been in one of these before and I have not done any basic maintenance. ( From the looks of it, the PO hadn't either)

Appears to have rear main seal leak and at least one oil leak up front.

Water is pooled up under the rear seat cushion

ABS warning and traction control lights are on full time

Lots of broken plastic and missing screws and fasteners inside and out.

Found a metal "bridge" in one of the fuse slots

several electrical problems and even more disconnected plugs.

One of the original Flow Master mufflers drags over speed bumps and after dips, does not appear to be any room to raise it up any. Suspension seems soft.

PO kept going on about the $400 Kicker amp system which apparently is dedicated to the sole little door speaker that works.

Good:

Convertible top works for now.

I have a really happy little girl!

Any and all advice welcome!
Thanks!

Todd

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

New to Mustangs the StangNet but already found tons of useful info, Thanks!

Two nights ago we purchased a professionally neglected 2001 3.8 convertible for our daughter's 15th birthday with the idea of her and I making it respectable over the coming year while learning how to maintain a car.

Purchase price: $2000
Mileage: 199,200
image1.jpeg

She has been holding on to her learners permit which became valid yesterday and she is super excited! She spent about an hour driving her new pony today.

Last two days::
I had 4 cheap tires and an alignment done for $500
Pressure washed years of grime from engine bay.
I filled the convertible top hydraulic pump and it worked good for a day, just put the top up for the night and it was really slow. I did see a lot of oil on one of the arms so I will have to inspect that.
#2 Cylinder was dead, replaced plug (heavy ash) and wire for a big fat zero, ran a can of Seafoam through the 1/4 filled gas tank and it seems to have improved a lot. As a bonus, the Service Engine Soon light disappeared shortly after doing this as well.

When I pulled the rear seat I found standing pools of water, We will be foil taping the rain channels, clearing the drain and trying to figure out exactly where the "duct tape" fix is applied.

image2.jpeg

It was about this time that the headlights turned on and have stayed on since even with no switch, no key. Solving this is my priority since I have to keep pulling the battery connection when it sits.

I listed a host of other problems detailed in the Welcome Wagon so I won't cross post. I will add non-working windshield wipers to the list though.

Last edited:
It was about this time that the headlights turned on and have stayed on since even with no switch, no key. Solving this is my priority since I have to keep pulling the battery connection when it sits.
There are several "possible" failure points that could cause this symptom. IMO it's best to start with some diagnostic tests to give a general direction to trouble shooting.

1999-2004 BJB CJB fuse panel layout:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Pull the following fuses and post IF the lights go out or not. Pay attention which lights go out (high or low beam).
F2.38 DRL
F2.10 left low beam
F2.4 right low beam
F1.2 always on head lights.

Flash-to-pass on the multi-function switch. Does it work? Does it make a difference IF the head lights are turn on using the pull switch? Does it make any difference if the multi-function switch is "exercised"?

Not a bad idea for you to invest in an "old school" incandescent style test light that will "load" the circuit.

Also not a bad idea to perform a visual inspection of the head light switch itself. It's not uncommon for it to over heat and melt.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Last edited:
Big day for GiddyUpGirl and her pony!

Today's focus was around the GEM, visually inspecting all the wires plugged into it, cleaning grounds. disconnecting the radio, amp and as many accessories as I could to see if I could in hopes to pinpoint the problem. Nothing gave me any clue so I started back at the beginning. Wanting to teach my daughter about the fuses I had her pull and reseat some and replace f2.39 for the GEM. This fixed a big chunk of our to do list, we now have:

Seatbelt Chime and dash light
Airbag Dash light
Door Chimes
Interior Lights
Door Locks
Wipers

Might be difficult to stretch this project a year!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @wmburns for taking the time to answer this!

We will go through these steps tomorrow afternoon and report back.

I can say that the multi-function stalk works as expected, with lights on or off. Flash to pass, high beams, wipers and intermittent.

Here is a quick convertible top question: The cloth panel under the rear window is beige while the top is black. Was this just someone cutting corners when installing a new top? I can’t imagine it was oem design like the PO had told me.

2E4404A3-4C90-4077-9075-0511C4ED16FC.jpeg

F2.38 DRL - No Change
F2.10 left low beam - Left light turned off
F2.4 right low beam - Right light turned off
F1.2 always on head lights. - No Change
^^interesting. This proves the problem is NOT with the DRL module.

This also "proves" the head lights are not be cross powered down stream of the fuses F2.10 and F2.4 (problem is upstream). It also proves the problem is in the low beam circuit.

Are you positive about the F1.2 not having a change? Why? Because F1.2 is the main head light power fuse. Sooooooooo if pulling F1.2 does not kill the lights that means the lights are being powered from a different source.

How about pulling F1.10 which should power the parking lights? If this kills the head lights the most likely place I can think of where the failure point is right at the head light switch. This increases the need to perform a visual inspection of the head light switch itself.

If pulling F1.2 or F1.10 does not kill the head lights, THEN we should start pulling all of the fuses in the engine bay battery junction box (F1=BJB) one at a time until we find the fuse that does kill the head lights. This will help to give focus to the trouble shooting efforts.

If looking to teach someone good electrical trouble shooting skills then suggest teaching HOW to use a test light to confirm if a fuse has power coming in AND out. This method gives much more information than if a fuse is good or bad. Remember there is a "nub" on many fuses that can be accessed while the fuse is still plugged in. This gives an easy way to test for voltage at each side of the fuse. In this way one will know:
  • Is the fuse able to carry current (blown or not).
  • does it have the ability to power a circuit. IE have power coming into it in the first place.

Last edited:
Here is a quick convertible top question: The cloth panel under the rear window is beige while the top is black. Was this just someone cutting corners when installing a new top? I can’t imagine it was oem design like the PO had told me.

2E4404A3-4C90-4077-9075-0511C4ED16FC.jpeg
Most likely original since they came with both color tops I believe.

^^interesting. This proves the problem is NOT with the DRL module.

Are you positive about the F1.2 not having a change? Why? Because F1.2 is the main head light power fuse. Sooooooooo if pulling F1.2 does not kill the lights that means the lights are being powered from a different source.

Why no I am not sure. I didn't notice the F1, I had her check F2.2, Will report back. Thanks for the tip on checking the fuses in place! This would have saved me a ton of time had I done that first with F2.39.

OK @wmburns! The rain let up enough to go look at this (and the copious amounts of water on the floor)

Pulling F1.2 did not turn off the lights but pulling F1.27 did:
F1.27 - Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) module, Fog lamp relay

She doesn't have fog lights and I don't believe she should have DLRs so I am assuming that it is safe to leave F1.27 out.

Thanks a ton for walking me through this. At least I don't have to pull the battery while we wok on what the real problem is.

100% Yes on the colors, the top was replaced and they did not replace the rear glass. I just replaced my top about 2 years ago. I had the same option to replace it with a tan top like it was from the factory or to go black. I then seen the top and the rear are not the same unit, they are defiantly separate in case that back glass breaks. I had the full top placed by a local upholstery shop because mine was separating at the seams.

I want to commend you man for this project on many levels. My son and I have been working on a 05 Accord that we picked up wrecked. Same concept here as what your doing. I tried to trade him the Accord for my Mustang and he flat out refused.

Passing on your knowledge on to her is a tenfold investment. I manage an Auto Shop and you cant imagine how many of the younger generation that have no idea what is going on with their cars. I am perplexed daily when I see someone come in and they don't even know what they drive, the size of their wheels/tires, or if its a V8, V6 or 4cyl.

Keep on Doing the good work and helping her be self sufficient