Dad getting a 2008 Mustang GT on October...what mods should I make?

jkdman63

Aug 25, 2007
Dad's given me the permission to make modifications to the car, as long as I pay for them. I will have about 2500 dollars saved up. Could you recommend specific modifications? I was looking at the Roush suspension kit, but I'll need a CAI/Hood scoop/tuner and a nice exhaust. I'll definitely get the Roush quarter window louvers to match though. What can I get?

Thanks for the help, I'm just a newbie.

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of info on here if you search. There are a ton of mods you can do. A lot of them won't really gain you much power, if any, but add to the Pony mystique.

If you are going to get a CAI, save your money unless you get a WMS. They are the only true cold air kit. Anyway, there is an ongoing thread on here and hopefully some good info will be coming back later this week.

Axle Back Exhaust - don't get catback-waste of money.

For looks check places like Shelby, Classic Design Concepts, Roush, Saleen, American Muscle, Late Model Restoration Supply, Street Scene, Silver Horse Racing, etc. There are a ton out there and you could spend many thousands to get everything.

Like I said search on here.... most people have either modded their cars with just about anything available out there.

LB

$2500...
New ring and pinon...$500-650(parts and labor at most places)
Tuner...$400(great performance boost and bang for the buck)
Axle back exhaust....$200+(all about the sound baby, pidly power gain)
Suspension kit will increase the handling of the car, but is it going to get driven to take advantage of the cost or is it for the looks, in which case moderate drop springs will do fine...$200 +/-
There are a ton of eye candy parts out there for a few hundred or less that add great looks.

Here a few sites to get you going, if you haven't looked already.
http://www.brenspeed.com/index.html
http://www.bamachips.com/store/inde...8_4_10&zenid=fdebd27f810ba9e2036feb6bb4193106
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/cart.php
http://www.americanmuscle.com/

Being that I bought my tires/wheels after the car. That brings my total mods up to just over $4500(parts and some labor)

The most imortant question is....is that after you sink $2,500 of your own money into this car, is he still going to let you dive it when you want?

I wouldn't be putting any money into a car I wasn't allowed to drive on a regular basis!

I've only installed about half, the other half is on order and I've already spent $3250

Saleen HID - $700 (got a good deal on a new set)
GT 500 Bumper - $300 (again, got a good deal)
GT 500 Wing - $200
Foose Wheels - $1300
CDC Sequentials - $150
Silver Horse Racing Louvers - $150
Magnaflow Axle-Back Exhaust - $450

And I'm no where near done yet so it's easy to spend it....

LB

Save another grand and buy a 93 or a 95 GT then mod it yourself. I would throw a tuner, long tubes, gears, and an off-road x-pipe, then maybe a cat back if there was money left. I am biased towards exhaust first though.

Yea you could pick up a decent fox body for that kind of money..... Much cheaper to mod too and then you could show your dad up....

LB

I blew the doors off a notchback at the track and he had 3.73s, centerforce 2 clucth,pro 5.0 shifter, shorty headers, hi flow cats, Flowmasters, a/c delete, no smog pump...He could only muster 13.9s and he knocked nearly .5 off his first run throughout the day. I'll stick with my '06(comfy, rides nice, good power and gets 20MPG still)..UNLESS I had about $10K to put into the fox.

I blew the doors off a notchback at the track and he had 3.73s, centerforce 2 clucth,pro 5.0 shifter, shorty headers, hi flow cats, Flowmasters, a/c delete, no smog pump...He could only muster 13.9s and he knocked nearly .5 off his first run throughout the day. I'll stick with my '06(comfy, rides nice, good power and gets 20MPG still)..UNLESS I had about $10K to put into the fox.

Hehe I will stick with mine too. I stuck with the foxes when I couldn't afford a brand spanking new one, and 13.9's doesn't sound too bad for the mods he has.

Myself, I'd take that challenge any day. I've got both and there is no way the S197 is going to touch my Fox and I've only got a little more than $2500 in performance mods. I know, I know with the cost of the car too, it would be around $5K but he'd have his own car that he could drive every day not just on the weekends.

just my .02 :)

LB

Getting a Fox body does sound like a good idea, but with one flaw I should have pointed out - my parents are pretty strict. They won't let me drive the car during the week anyway, even though I'm going to be a senior. :(

Getting a Fox body does sound like a good idea, but with one flaw I should have pointed out - my parents are pretty strict. They won't let me drive the car during the week anyway, even though I'm going to be a senior. :(

One more reason not to sink any of your own money into a car you're not able to drive whenever you want. Save up and buy your own ride, like others have suggested. Let your old man worry about supeing up his own car.

Wait one year, leave their house, buy a car and do what you want with it. I had strict parents too so I graduated and left. One year may seem like an eternity, but 2500 dollars or more will seem like alot when you still have it to mod your own car instead of look at it on your dads. Stick a CAI and a tuner on his maybe and call it a day then just have fun with it on the weekends, it is still plenty of car for someone with a year or two of driving experience even in near stock condition.