Darn Headers!!!!

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
CA
just venting.after my sub frame install last week,i've noticed an exhaust leak that got progressively worse.turn's out on the passanger side header,one nut was stripped to hell,and the threads were stripped out of the header on the other.

the stang is my daily driver,so i can't afford to have it down the week it would take to get a new set of shortie headers in.look's like headers are next on the list:rolleyes:.

HPIM2579.jpg

HPIM2580.jpg

here's a quick fix.(FYI-the threads on the header studs are i belive 12mm X 1.75.i used a 4 inch long stud but had to cut off almost an inch.the dealer did not have them,they would have to order them,also they cost about $15 each:nonono:.)

at the local hardware store i found a few four inch studs.
on the side with the stripped threads,i opened the hole just a little to pass the stud through and locked it down with two nuts and two split lock washers

on the side with the chewed up nut,i cut the threaded portion of the stud off.next with in air impact wrench,knocked out the old stud,and replaced it with one of the studs found at the hardware store and used a nut with a split lock washer on one side.

HPIM2584.jpg

HPIM2585.jpg

on a side note,while the car was down i also installed the Mishmoto radiator.i would have written up an install,but i was busy battling the header studs.sorry.

HPIM2583.jpg

i know,i know,i need a new battery and cables:)

HPIM2590.jpg

HPIM2591.jpg

HPIM2592.jpg

• Sponsors (?)