DAS Auto Shippers (Never Again...)

Red1990Lx

Nov 2, 2006
Ohio
About a month ago, I stumbled across a nice Mustang on Corral.net. I talked with the gentleman for over 4 hours on the phone about the car the first night. He provided every receipt for just about every part on the car as well as hundreds of pictures ranging from the engine build to the first day he got the car. So we came to an agreement to ship the car to Ohio from California and I would do my inspections and test drive etc. If everything was there like he stated, I would tell the escrow company we made arrangements with to release the money to him.
I had to find a shipping company that wasn't some fly by night group. So I researched around for a while and E-Bay recommends DAS Auto Shippers on their web site for shipping cars/motorcycles. I was in touch with them and had arrangements set up for the seller to drop the car off and DAS would handle the rest. However, little did DAS know, the seller took shots of the cars tires, mileage, and body before he dropped the car off....
To make a long story short here, I paid $650 plus $200 in extra insurances for the car to be shipped for Torrance, California to Dayton, Ohio. I go to pick the car up (mind you this is when it was snowing like crazy) and the guy never once went out to inspect the car with me, he told me to sign the doc sheet and he handed me the keys. I get to the car and look it over as best as I could see with the snow and all. I get in the car to start it up and let it idle before test driving it. Turned on then died, did this four times before I realized "NO GAS" I was like "WTF" should have had a half tank when dropped off! So I go back in and ask the guy why it didn't have any gas in it, he was oblivious, like he was stoned or something. I got gas and was totally ticked off and frozen so I got in drove it home and was shocked when I got home... Some time during shipping, someone took the liberty to burn up a new set of Khumos that were just put on the car before shipping. I was so mad already that I was going to go off on someone. I called DAS and they sent a claim form out to me. I filled it out and sent it in right back to them with all the pictures I was given from the seller the day he shipped it and the receipt for the brand new tires that were $389 for two.
Weeks past without anything... Then finally last week, someone who I wont name from DAS called and said the claim was denied all because I didn't note the damage on the bill of laden (this is why that stoner told me to sign the docs before I was given the keys). So now I am out another $389 for two more new tires.
Like the only saying goes I guess, "You get what you pay for!" Well, that cannot be truer as I have found out the hard way. All total, I spent over $1100 to ship a car coast to coast. DAS has a bad reputation for things like this happening to customer's cars. I am finding this out more and more as I am posting this thread on various web-sites to forewarn people of DAS's un-professional shipping methods. DAS may be cheap to use, but they always come out on top and in my case, they cost me undue stress, aggravations, and money!!! Never again will I trust any of my cars with DAS Autos. They lack the desire to treat the people and the peoples' merchandise with the respect they deserve. DAS Auto is terrible F- for them!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Sucks to hear, one more reason I have 0 desire to do ANY business with a paypal or other e-bay "recommended" company. If I find anything on E-bay I contact the company direct and inquire about buying direct as I will not deal with paypal.

Sucks as I dont really have the option to list things on ebay though.

Was the rest of the car in good shape though? I mean yeah it sucks and I would be :mad: :eek: :nono: but atleast glad the rest of it got there safe-ish. Guess they expect most people to think like this though...when will companies realize customer service (real not just having a customer service line) is what seperates good companies from soon to be out of business or less profitable companies.

Sucks to hear, one more reason I have 0 desire to do ANY business with a paypal or other e-bay "recommended" company. If I find anything on E-bay I contact the company direct and inquire about buying direct as I will not deal with paypal.

what happened with paypal? Deal gone wrong and they wouldn't refund your money?

I have never liked how they treat customers and handle issues. I never have been burned but have several friends who have BAD. Every reply from paypal was "sorry".

I trust my bank looking out for my account or the gov. investigating a money order (money crossing state lines by money order is a bigger mess for the offender than paypal fraud IIRC) than anything paypal and its crack (using) investigating team.

Was the rest of the car in good shape though? I mean yeah it sucks and I would be :mad: :eek: :nono: but atleast glad the rest of it got there safe-ish. Guess they expect most people to think like this though...when will companies realize customer service (real not just having a customer service line) is what seperates good companies from soon to be out of business or less profitable companies.

The rest of the car was fine, they put a cover on the floor mat to keep it clean (Was jambed up behind the pedals protecting nothing though). I know what you mean about the customer service lines... Thats another joke with these guys, you have to be on hold for 15 typing in different numbers before they transfer you to a rep. I am curious to know how many others have delt with these guys as there seem to be quite a few who have have bad times with these individuals......

So they took it upon themselves to drive the **** out of your car before you took delivery of it, I would be severely pissed off:mad:

As I was reading this that's all I could picture was some meathead "joy riding" your car..............
Your doing what I would do.......at least spread "your experience" with this company on as many sites that you can..............just be factual just as the above post was and start slinging those emails....by the way...the original owner took a picture of the mileage....what was the difference?

Here are two shots, the one that has the penny was taken by my girlfriend as I am currently in the process of moving up to Ohio. The other was taken in Cali... Other than the DAS issue, the car is awesome...

As I was reading this that's all I could picture was some meathead "joy riding" your car..............
Your doing what I would do.......at least spread "your experience" with this company on as many sites that you can..............just be factual just as the above post was and start slinging those emails....by the way...the original owner took a picture of the mileage....what was the difference?

Believe it or not, it was only four miles. But with a burnout, thats more than enough to roast the crap out of those soft Khumos!!! By the way, looks like I'm stuck down here for another month while these goof-ball buyers that said they were approved, actually get "Approved." Oh well, I am still going to try and make it to National Trails this year in August early September.

I have never liked how they treat customers and handle issues. I never have been burned but have several friends who have BAD. Every reply from paypal was "sorry".

Sounds like DAS auto and Pay-Pal use the same claims people. That is the answer I recieved from DAS "Sorry, Claim denied!" I still do not understand why I paid an extra amount of money for insurance when they wouldn't even let me use it to get new tires. Whats bad about them is that they would have taken the $100 deductable out of the settlement before I even touched the money. I still would have been out some money, but not as bad....

I'm very sorry to hear about this happening to you....but I'm just going to throw out a suggestion...

you mentioned they did all this in 4 miles. I'm not sure if you know the seller or not, but if you talk to him again, ask him how far he lives from the drop off point...

i understand he took pictures, but pictures mean nothing if you're not there when they're taken...he could have done that a week before...then before driving to the drop off point, he could have burnt the living $$#% out of the car

Just a suggestion, but it might be something to look at as well

Either way, I'm glad you posted this, it is a good heads up, something to look forward to if I ever do ship a car

I'm very sorry to hear about this happening to you....but I'm just going to throw out a suggestion...

you mentioned they did all this in 4 miles. I'm not sure if you know the seller or not, but if you talk to him again, ask him how far he lives from the drop off point...

i understand he took pictures, but pictures mean nothing if you're not there when they're taken...he could have done that a week before...then before driving to the drop off point, he could have burnt the living $$#% out of the car

Just a suggestion, but it might be something to look at as well

Either way, I'm glad you posted this, it is a good heads up, something to look forward to if I ever do ship a car

I know it's putting a lot of faith into the seller of the car, however, he was more than happy to get a notarized statement... That still may not mean much, but when you put that much time into a car and document it the way he did, why would you jepordize a sale of a car over tires? I trust what he has said and if this was an isolated incident then yes, I would have a hard time believing him, but it's not so I lean towards negligence on this case...

Well......I'm gonna throw this at ya.......like you said...other than the tires....it is a sweet deal..........man you got a lot on your plate with the selling of the house and moving.......take a step back.....take a deep breath...it's over..you got your car........don't waste anymore time and energy on this matter......just learned a lesson....that's all.......keep us posted with the move ...

Well......I'm gonna throw this at ya.......like you said...other than the tires....it is a sweet deal..........man you got a lot on your plate with the selling of the house and moving.......take a step back.....take a deep breath...it's over..you got your car........don't waste anymore time and energy on this matter......just learned a lesson....that's all.......keep us posted with the move ...

I know it's over with now, I just had to get those last two cents in... Like you said, I have a lot going on and hopefully I will be up there shortly, this nice weather and no Mustang is killing me!!! I'll let you know when it happens. What's there to do on the weekends up there? Do you all go cruising around or anything? I know the police up there are CRAZY!!!

soon enough my friend....the weather will wait for you.....Ohio weather is like a box of chocolates....."you never know what you might get"...my good friend JT "GUMP"...said that....lol

There's always something up here to do....especially by Rob and those Columbus area guys.......Akron has a group of enthusiasts........If you bored you can always head to Cedar Point...

soon enough my friend....the weather will wait for you.....Ohio weather is like a box of chocolates....."you never know what you might get"...my good friend JT "GUMP"...said that....lol

There's always something up here to do....especially by Rob and those Columbus area guys.......Akron has a group of enthusiasts........If you bored you can always head to Cedar Point...

Yeah, I did miss Cedar Point after being down here for four and a half years!!! I'll have to hit Cedar Point this year for sure. You are right about the weather, thats for sure!!!!!!!!

Those MAY have been the tires that went on it before it left..if that makes you feel any better.. any evidence of that?

He sent pics of them on the car at their facility for what it was worth. i don't think he would do a massive burn-out in their parking lot and then want to give me a sworn statement that they "were" new!!!