Dash Lights Only Light With Dome Light

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I have started some of this in my thread labeled Convertible Top Help, but figure this is a different issue altogether so I started a separate thread. When I changed the headlight switch and pigtail harness in our 87 GT, the dash lights now only light when you turn the dimmer switch all the way until the dome lights turn on. I've been chasing my tail with this for a little while this afternoon and can't find a proper pin print of the dimmer to know if that has been messed with or not. The headlight switch harness must have had issues previously since all of the wires were connected independently to the switch which prompted me to replace the end of the harness. All of the wires have been soldered to the corresponding colored wire in the dash and a new switch was installed. That is when I noticed the problem. I have checked the dimmer in different configurations and could not figure out which combination operated the dimmer. When the dome lights are not on, pin 1 and pin 6 in the headlight connector hardly read, but when the dome lights are turned on it reads 10-12v. I am guessing that I have a defective dimmer switch, but really don't know that for certain. It is fairly corroded within the mechanism, so I will probably replace it anyway, but really don't know if that is where the problem is or not. So, I guess that leads me to ask if anyone can confirm that the dimmer is wired correctly in the pic. Also, if anyone can tell me where to check resistance concerning the dimmer switch? The green/yellow wires are from the fuse box as the wiring diagram shows and read as such. The light blue/red wire goes to the switch, as the diagram shows. So it is between the other 2 which is the ground for the dash lights? I'm guessing that resistance should be measured between the light blue/red and the black/blue? Seems like I checked the light blue/red and brown connections without the switch turned on and found very low ohms between the 2. Anyway, can someone lead me in the right direction? Ask any questions you deem necessary and I will try to answer them the best I can.

lrs-14489a_9c52c179.jpg

25821554035_4fab23d0d8_b.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Weatherstrip and dimmer switch come this morning. I just installed the switch and now the lights work as they should. The new switch is a different design compared to the old and is physically smaller. I wonder if someone figured out a fix and incorporated it into the new switch? Anyway, problem solved!!