Dead spot at WOT occasionally. Any idea's???

tHeOnEGT

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
new jersey
I just bought my notch about 3 months ago, finally got insurance and got it onto the road. The mods are Gt-40 heads, intake, custom cam, pro-m mass air, 24 LB injectors, long tubes, o/r H, flows, 190 fuel pump. It doesn't have a chip, stock ignition. It drives and rides great except for the occasionall dead spot at wot. Example: Say i take off in second around 2k, it will start moving till 3k, then seem to die, and then around 5 k seem to pull again all the way to 6K. :bang: It only does it sometimes, when it runs right the thing ****in moves. :D

What do you guys think the problem is, you think it might need a dyno tune, or is it maybe something simplier"TPS, fuel pressure, Plugs,distributer ??? :shrug:

eric

• Sponsors (?)

When the TPS on my 2.3L LX crapped out, it was having similar symptoms to what you have. A TPS can be checked with a DIGITAL volt/ohm meter: with the key on, hook up the TPS to your volt meter just like if you were setting TPS voltage, and slowly open the throttle body. Its not the most accurate way, but you'll be able to tell if there is a dead spot.

Good Luck!

mines doing the same thing only when its semi cold...ill get on it and it wont do anything for ~2-3 sec maybe back fire a tad....then it catches up while its floored and surprises you sometimes lol...

Somone told me it might be unrestricted air pass the mass air meter

i have a 98 cobra that was doing something similare. at wot around 5500 rmp it would kick and sputter. it was fine under normal driving. ended up being one of my coil packs. i would check your wires and other ignition components. could be hard to find if it only does it under heavy load. i found mine by chance. i just changed a coil pack and it fixed it. good luck.

I would try to find a nice shop, the reason being is in my auto tech class we have a machine that you can actully graph out a tps or any other sensor reading. That graph will show you exactlly where your dead spot is if any. Make sure your ignition system is running the way it should. We also have a machine that does that, puts your entire ignition system on a pc and shows you how much voltage is being deliverd to each plug. So if you have some buddies that work at a shop see if they could hook you up. I think it is the tps, good luck

tHeOnEGT said:
I just bought my notch about 3 months ago, finally got insurance and got it onto the road. The mods are Gt-40 heads, intake, custom cam, pro-m mass air, 24 LB injectors, long tubes, o/r H, flows, 190 fuel pump. It doesn't have a chip, stock ignition. It drives and rides great except for the occasionall dead spot at wot. Example: Say i take off in second around 2k, it will start moving till 3k, then seem to die, and then around 5 k seem to pull again all the way to 6K. :bang: It only does it sometimes, when it runs right the thing ****in moves. :D

What do you guys think the problem is, you think it might need a dyno tune, or is it maybe something simplier"TPS, fuel pressure, Plugs,distributer ??? :shrug:

eric

without reading the rest of the replies, i'm going to say your clutch could be slipping. my car will do the same it will pull hard slip for a bit to where it feels dead and then grab again at 4k-ish.

I would check your fuel pressure. You should be able to turn it down a little since you are now using larger than stock injectors. Too bad you dont have access to a wideband O2 sensor. I got one recently and love using the thing.