Diagnostic Trouble Code: Can someone tell me if this is serious?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
My "service engine soon" light came on today. I plugged in my Superchips Microtuner and it listed the DTC as "P0153"

"Oxy sensor Circ Slow Response (bank2, Sens1)"

Does it sound like something I have to worry about? I'm not quite sure what the oxygen sensor is and how crucial it is to have it working properly.

• Sponsors (?)

the code just means that o2 sensor is getting old and sluggish

not a HUGE deal and you're safe to drive it, just don't expect to pass smog. you don't have headers do you?

EDIT: in a nutshell, the front o2 sensors on your car (you have 4 total on your X-pipe, 2 on each side. 1 before the cat, 1 after) tell the computer how your air/fuel mixture is doing and adjusts accordingly, the rears check catalytic efficiency

buy some new OEM ones from Ford and if your car has more than 60k miles you might as well do all 4

if you want i'll install them for you in exchange for some, *ahem* favors:)

if you're not up for the drive here to Vegas pretty much any shop should be able to replace them for you. can't quote you on parts or labor though:shrug:

buy some new OEM ones from Ford and if your car has more than 60k miles you might as well do all 4

if you want i'll install them for you in exchange for some, *ahem* favors:)

if you're not up for the drive here to Vegas pretty much any shop should be able to replace them for you. can't quote you on parts or labor though:shrug:

i'd have to fill up like 7 times just to get to vegas lol, i appreciate your help :)

ya know...that could go a long way to explaining you crummy gas mileage...

do oxygen sensors have anything to do with gas mileage? seriously? how would changing them affect mileage?

If they have a slow response time the the ECU starts reading them before they are warm. Your ECU then starts to add fuel, thus making you run rich, thus not giving you the best gas mileage.

Get ahold of Randy and get a set of OEM's. You could save some cash putting them in yourself :)

If they have a slow response time the the ECU starts reading them before they are warm. Your ECU then starts to add fuel, thus making you run rich, thus not giving you the best gas mileage.

Get ahold of Randy and get a set of OEM's. You could save some cash putting them in yourself :)

Much appreciations for the detailed explantion :)