Did I install the wrong oil pump?

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Well the motor is in the car, and it seems that the oil pump has made a small crack in the oil pan, about as thick as my fingernail but not as wide as my pinky nail, right at the corner of the pan. I didnt notice this when I was installing the motor, its a very small hole I had to look a few times because it looked like just a nick in the pan. It looks as if the oil pump pushed out the pan a very very small amount and Im not exactly sure how it happened because I cannot feel the oil pump when I stick my fingernail in there.

This is the oil pump I bought,

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MEL-M68HV&N=700+115&autoview=sku

For now I just put some JB weld on the small spot since I am about 2 hrs worth work from starting the motor and I figured the worst it could do is just leak a little, what do you guys think? Did I install the wrong pump? It says its for SBF and everything lined up perfect, even looked like the old pump.

Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

Well the motor is in the car, and it seems that the oil pump has made a small crack in the oil pan, about as thick as my fingernail but not as wide as my pinky nail, right at the corner of the pan. I didnt notice this when I was installing the motor, its a very small hole I had to look a few times because it looked like just a nick in the pan. It looks as if the oil pump pushed out the pan a very very small amount and Im not exactly sure how it happened because I cannot feel the oil pump when I stick my fingernail in there.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MEL-M68HV&N=700+115&autoview=sku

For now I just put some JB weld on the small spot since I am about 2 hrs worth work from starting the motor and I figured the worst it could do is just leak a little, what do you guys think? Did I install the wrong pump? It says its for SBF and everything lined up perfect, even looked like the old pump.

Thanks everyone!

I've personally used that exact pump about 3 or 4 times on various engine builds and never had an issue...sounds like you put something together incorrectly... did you use a different pan??

No this is something that happened while the motor was out for sure, heres some pictures of the oil pump on the motor and then with the pan too

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 102
No this is something that happened while the motor was out for sure, heres some pictures of the oil pump on the motor and then with the pan too

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

im gonna say you probably bumped it or something when it was out cause based on the pics it looks like its assembled properly....clean it up and jb weld it till you can take the pan off...

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 84
same oil pump thats came out of my friends car and we put a brand new one in and never touched the stock pan...

Did you clean the pan off? Maybe its been there a while and your just now noticing it since it was cleaned?

who knows but I put JB weld on it, I didnt feel the pump when I stuck my fingernail in so I thought it would be alright. Well we will find out tomorrow then. I must have hit the pan on something when I was dropping the motor in.

yep i believe thats what someone told u somewhere else. if u dont get the answer u want just post it on all the internet forums and u shall recieve the answer u want to hear eventually. i love this ****. dude i would pull the pan off and check it out. then when u put it back in try using a tire or somethin softer to sit it on so u dont smash the pan again. good luck

yep i believe thats what someone told u somewhere else. if u dont get the answer u want just post it on all the internet forums and u shall recieve the answer u want to hear eventually. i love this ****. dude i would pull the pan off and check it out. then when u put it back in try using a tire or somethin softer to sit it on so u dont smash the pan again. good luck

lol if you look I posted it on both forums at exactly the same time, I was just looking to get as many opinions as possible.

I think its due to being a High Volume pump. I used one once had the exact same issue. I did not like the HV pump, went back to a stand volume pump and did not have any issues. The housing might be different, I would like to compare them side by side and take measurements to be for sure???

I think its due to being a High Volume pump. I used one once had the exact same issue. I did not like the HV pump, went back to a stand volume pump and did not have any issues. The housing might be different, I would like to compare them side by side and take measurements to be for sure???

I have heard the same thing, that the high volume pump requires a bit more clearance because its in a different housing. Thats the only reason I replaced mine with a standard one.

But thats just what i've heard, whether or not there's any truth to that is another story.

Thanks everyone!

did you use a high volume pump with the newer style pan ?all new oil pans for the mustang is a super ceded part # to the sn 95 style pan slight diffrence but shallow enough to put a small dimple in the pan need to get a 87 93 older style pan no longer avail from ford.summit has them i think or go with a deep sump pan