Did I lose my tune settings?

I disconnected the neg battery terminal to install my K&N FIPK today like the directions said to do. Install went alright, other than a few fitting adjustments. Put everything back the way it was and started it up. The first thing I noticed was it took a couple seconds to finally fire up and the speedo gauge taped out at 150 before going back to zero. However, everything settled in and the idle in both park and neutral was solid. I checked for leaks and found nothing, so I took it on the road. The main thing I noticed was my shift firmness was softer like stock and the car didn't "feel" like it was going the speed that the speedo was telling me.

So did I loose my tune (speedo recal, shift firmness, etc) by disconnecting the neg on the battery??? It seems like it, even though the car still runs smooth. I guess I'll have to get back on the dyno asap...

• Sponsors (?)

No, it shouldnt have...but what it is doing is remapping based on your driving and how the car is running. Give it a few days and you will feel the power and drivability come back...my car is SLOW just after I pull the battery...about 2 days later its back to normal.

hotmustang331 said:
No, it shouldnt have...but what it is doing is remapping based on your driving and how the car is running. Give it a few days and you will feel the power and drivability come back...my car is SLOW just after I pull the battery...about 2 days later its back to normal.
I know it takes a couple days for the computer to "relearn" everything, but does it need to relearn the chip settings too???

I was planning on waiting until tuesday or wednesday before I made a dyno appt.

Hornetsnest said:
Shifts are starting to firm up a bit...still not as firm as it was before, but better than it was when I first drove after the install...We'll see after tomorrow...

You didn't lose your tune after disconnecting the battery. It just doesn't work like that. The only thing you cleared was the adaptive memory. If your tuner knew what they were doing, adaptive would have been turned off during the tuning session anyway, so your tune should have been based on a clear memory.

Mine was tuned by the best (Tim @ MPH) and mine still addapts. I dont think it matters in a N/A car...but S/C is probably where he will turn that off and let it base on every startup...wouldnt be good for your tune to be going wacko when you shoving 20PSI down it lol.

hotmustang331 said:
Mine was tuned by the best (Tim @ MPH) and mine still addapts. I dont think it matters in a N/A car...but S/C is probably where he will turn that off and let it base on every startup...wouldnt be good for your tune to be going wacko when you shoving 20PSI down it lol.

I should have been clearer in my post. They don't turn adaptive off and leave it off. Just during the tuning session. Otherwise you have adaptive trying to correct the same things the tuner is trying to dial in, and the tuners adjustments will be skewed by the adaptive numbers. After the tuning session is done. Adaptive is turned back on... This is per the SCT tuning manual.