Did I mess up my pilot bearing installation?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
I installed my new pilot bearing a little past flush with the end of the crank. I didn't figure it would be a big issue but I keep worrying about it. I have the transmission in and when I put it back, I had trouble getting it all the way in. It stopped about 1/2" out - and I figure this is all the engagement I'll have between the transmission input shaft and pilot bearing. Did I screw up? I figure the pilot bearing was 1/8" past flush.
I measured from the edge of the pilot bearing to the back of the bellhouseing and also the input shaft and I'm guessing that the input shaft will engage most of the bearing but not quite all of it...

Is this going to be alright or do I need to start over and take the transmission out and pull the pilot bearing out some?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The one I installed in my car a few months back was the bearing inside a bronze bushing. It had a lip on it so you put it in till it stopped. Sounds like yours is not the same as mine or you did just the bearing. I used an alignment tool to align the clutch and had a heck of a time getting mine in the last 1/2" as well. Then I had a friend push the clutch while I pushed the transmission and bang..slipped right together. I think you are fine.

The one I installed in my car a few months back was the bearing inside a bronze bushing. It had a lip on it so you put it in till it stopped. Sounds like yours is not the same as mine or you did just the bearing. I used an alignment tool to align the clutch and had a heck of a time getting mine in the last 1/2" as well. Then I had a friend push the clutch while I pushed the transmission and bang..slipped right together. I think you are fine.

That is exactly what I did as well. It was a bearing inside a bushing. I too knocked it in until it stopped against the flange. If I remember correctly, there is a small ring of material on the back of the crank that sticks out a little beyond the flywheel surface. The bearing/bushing are 1/8" or so subflush to that.

As for alignment... I used the tool and tightened everything down and then realized that the clutch plate may have sagged... so I checked and, sure enough, the tool was not centered in the round opening the clutch fingers make so I loosened it and moved the clutch plate up and confirmed it was centered.
I still couldn't get the transmission to go the last 1/2" either so I used a big C clamp to pinch the cable flange to the release fork and it went the last 1/2" easily.

I think it all comes down to how much force the bearing see. The more surface area the input shaft has against the bearing the better - but, like you, I'm leaning toward leaving it as is. I'm working on adding a supercharger now (and thus the need for the clutch upgrade) so I'm thinking that my stock T-5 may not last all that long anyway.

THANKS!