Did i use the right coolant???

• Sponsors (?)

I just took a look at valvoline's website and it seems like that should be fine for our cars. If you used 1 gallon of coolant and the rest water thats about 27% coolant. Valvoline says that 50-70% coolant will provide the best corrosion protection.

I'm in Jersey and sometimes it gets pretty hot. I use a 50-50 mix prestone and distilled water and a bottle of water wetter in place of some coolant.

Just last week it got up to around 100 degrees outside and my auto meter gauge did not go over 190.

Both prestone and zerex are supposed to protect against corrosion on aluminum parts too!

It's fine, I have used Dexcool, purified water and watter wetter until I redid the heads and cam. Everyone and their uncle is going to tell you to avoid it like the plague, My personal experience was fine, I had zero issues with it for almost 2 years. I have gone to glycol and purified water with about 15% coolant this time around, But I am having an issue with my temp. My problem is my fan though, it is not kicking on the highspeed fan at all.
Now for everyday purposes, 50/50 coolant and watter wetter is great, depending where you live, if you live in a hot climate, more water, a cold climate 50% or more coolant.

It's fine, I have used Dexcool, purified water and watter wetter until I redid the heads and cam. Everyone and their uncle is going to tell you to avoid it like the plague, My personal experience was fine, I had zero issues with it for almost 2 years. I have gone to glycol and purified water with about 15% coolant this time around, But I am having an issue with my temp. My problem is my fan though, it is not kicking on the highspeed fan at all.
Now for everyday purposes, 50/50 coolant and watter wetter is great, depending where you live, if you live in a hot climate, more water, a cold climate 50% or more coolant.

Yea I work at chrysler and we use that orange dexcool crap on most all new cars. Anytime someone comes in for a radiator flush though we swap it to the good old green stuff because I have seen that dexcool reak havoc on aluminum parts due to the corrosion it seems to cause. Just my experience with the mopar stuff though...

Yea I work at chrysler and we use that orange dexcool crap on most all new cars. Anytime someone comes in for a radiator flush though we swap it to the good old green stuff because I have seen that dexcool reak havoc on aluminum parts due to the corrosion it seems to cause. Just my experience with the mopar stuff though...

I have heard the same from GM/Ford dealers as well. Keep it green guys!!!!!! Forget the expensive stuff.

Personally, I use 30% green antifreeze and 70% distilled water.
Scott

Thank you!! Dexcool does corrode aluminum parts!! I have seen every car with that stuff, have gunky coolant. Radiators, water pumps even cylinder heads are junk!! MY sisters 03 Monte Carlo with 20K miles....yeah...it over heated and I pull the radiator out and it is clogged!! We replaced it all with green, and haven't had a problem since. It has 30K now, and it still looks great!

GM knows they have a problem with that stuff. That is why all the gaskets are getting deteriorated on their 3100, 3400, 3500, 3800, 4300 etc.....

No. The red coolant Chrysler now uses (and has used since the 2001 model year) is Zerex G-05 dyed red. It is the EXACT same stuff as Ford Premium Gold which Ford started to use in trucks and SUVs in the 2002 model year and cars in the 2003 model year. John Deere has used it for like 20+ years and their version is dyed green...

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10
http://www.valvoline.com/products/zerexg05.pdf

That "good old green stuff" is more than likely Prestone All Makes All Models which is not the good old green stuff. It is actually a Dex-Cool clone dyed a goldish green color which is the EXACT same stuff that SuperTech coolant at Wal-Mart is.

Prestone All Makes All Models IS NOT FOR ALL MAKES ALL MODELS. It has no silicates which both Ford and Chrysler want in their cooling systems.

Zerex G-05 IS NOT DEX-COOL!!!

Zerex now makes a new-type green that has pretty much the same silicate levels as their G-05 coolant. Their green stuff is good for 5 years/100,000 miles...

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=8
http://www.valvoline.com/products/zerexoriginal.pdf

Zerex G-05 is also suppose to be the direct replace for green which I think will eventually stop being made since most new autos want a G-05 formulation (not a Dex-Cool one).

In a Ford or Chrysler, I would opt for G-05 instead of the green. For Chevys, it doesn't matter between Zerex green and Zerex G-05. Anything is better than Dex-Cool. In fact, GM now has to pay back GM vehicle owners that had problems with Dex-Cool (a.k.a. Death-Cool)...

http://www.modexcool.com/

Lastly, a lot of you guys are running way too much water. Remember, water transfers heat better than coolant does, but water has no protective capabilities by itself. Water also freezes at 32°F (0°C) and boils at 212°F (100°C).

I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU ADD MORE COOLANT! This is where you get that extra protection from boil-overs, freezing, and corrosion. If you did 65% coolant to 35% water (DISTILLED WATER ONLY), you would get boil-over protection up to around 270°F and freezing protection down to around -60°F. I would recommend not going over 65% coolant.

If you are sitting in traffic and it is hot, put the shifter in NEUTRAL and hold down the brake or just put it in PARK until traffic starts moving again.