Did something stupid, just curious

Some Honda pissed me off tonight pulling the ricer flyby and cutting me off so I ended up dropping to 3rd gear, then I guess not realizing my RPMs and how fast I was going...maybe 50ish, I revved and dropped into second because I have a turd that doesn't pull great in 3rd going 50mph, then my tach shot to 6,000RPMs. So of course I quickly slammed it into 3rd.

I try to be gentle with my car and it just makes me paranoid haha What kind of damage could this do? Obviously I won't be doing anything dumb like that again but I'm curious.

• Sponsors (?)

...I have a turd that doesn't pull great in 3rd going 50mph, then my tach shot to 6,000RPMs. So of course I quickly slammed it into 3rd.

I try to be gentle with my car and it just makes me paranoid haha What kind of damage could this do? Obviously I won't be doing anything dumb like that again but I'm curious.

Forced overspeeding of the engine can result in spun bearings or thrown rods (if the thing is ridiculously overspun) and valvetrain damage. I've even heard of rocker arms being tossed due to overspeeding.

A short burst of 6000RPM shouldn't hurt it. Just remember that although the PCM has a rev limiter from the factory, there's nothing the PCM can do if you're overspinning the engine via the back wheels as a result of a bad gear choice.

BTW: :track:

:nice:

Forced overspeeding of the engine can result in spun bearings or thrown rods (if the thing is ridiculously overspun) and valvetrain damage. I've even heard of rocker arms being tossed due to overspeeding.

A short burst of 6000RPM shouldn't hurt it. Just remember that although the PCM has a rev limiter from the factory, there's nothing the PCM can do if you're overspinning the engine via the back wheels as a result of a bad gear choice.

BTW: :track:

:nice:

Thanks for the quick reply. Haha I only chased him for about 2-3 seconds when we came upon other cars and I shut it down.

That's exactly what I was just thinking about, the PCM was probably crying that it couldn't help.

The issues you listed above are something that would happen pretty much instantly from overspinning correct? Definitely no issues with the car but I'm just wondering how much life that just took off of said components lol

Isn't the factory rev limiter just a hair above 6000rpm on the 4.6?

Did you loose all power after shifting to 2nd? If not, then you weren't above the factory rev limiter and you have nothing to worry about. Ford spends hours and hours testing engines at high rpm and even near the red line. Getting the revs above the factory set rev limiter is where you start having problems.

I recently read something that when ford was doing testing of the new 5.0, they brought it to 7000rpm and held it for 300 hrs. I'm certain they did something similar with the 4.6... probably brought it to 5900 or 6000 rpm and held it for a similar long amount of time.

In some cases, people have run out 3rd, tried to grab 4th and accidently gone to 2nd gear. You can find plenty of videos of that on u-tube. It usually results in broken connecting rods which does a great job destroying the entire engine. In fact, my dad knew a guy at work with a 96-98mustang and he did exactly that. He blamed it on the odd placement of the cup holder, which I could understand.

Last issue... it was a ricer. Why even bother? You obviously put yourself, your car and everyone else on the road at risk, for that little POS? I had a ricer do that to me yesterday (probably because I was having some fun getting on the highway :D). I just passed by him in 5th gear and made sure I gave it some gas to hear the V8 churning slowly as I passed him.

you should be alright. I did the 3rd to 2nd shift by mistake on an on-ramp which significantly overrevved the engine and ended up grenading my clutch... almost a year later and my engine still runs like new. I wouldn't worry about it.

Isn't the factory rev limiter just a hair above 6000rpm on the 4.6?

Did you loose all power after shifting to 2nd? If not, then you weren't above the factory rev limiter and you have nothing to worry about. Ford spends hours and hours testing engines at high rpm and even near the red line. Getting the revs above the factory set rev limiter is where you start having problems.

I recently read something that when ford was doing testing of the new 5.0, they brought it to 7000rpm and held it for 300 hrs. I'm certain they did something similar with the 4.6... probably brought it to 5900 or 6000 rpm and held it for a similar long amount of time.

In some cases, people have run out 3rd, tried to grab 4th and accidently gone to 2nd gear. You can find plenty of videos of that on u-tube. It usually results in broken connecting rods which does a great job destroying the entire engine. In fact, my dad knew a guy at work with a 96-98mustang and he did exactly that. He blamed it on the odd placement of the cup holder, which I could understand.

Last issue... it was a ricer. Why even bother? You obviously put yourself, your car and everyone else on the road at risk, for that little POS? I had a ricer do that to me yesterday (probably because I was having some fun getting on the highway :D). I just passed by him in 5th gear and made sure I gave it some gas to hear the V8 churning slowly as I passed him.

Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned after getting it tuned today on the dyno'd. She performed well! Besides the EGR throwing a code and ending up just getting shut off altogether.

Did 270/306 :D I'm happy for my turd.

I don't believe it really lost power but it was at such a high RPM that the car doesn't really pull much anyway so I didn't really notice.

As far as the ricer, yeah, it was stupid. It's actually VERY unlikely of me to do something like that. I do exactly what you do, but I like to do it in 4th gear :) Or middle of 3rd on the street, assuming I'm accelerating from a light or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-qT6g-oGI
Bwahahha

dont worry about it. i made numerous mis-shifts when the T56 went in. i was meaning to go into 4th and went to 2nd.this was around 70 MPH. it happened at least 4-5 times getting use to the tighter gate on the T56 and i never had any issues