Diesel Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

It says further back in the comments that it's one of the Mercedes 5cyl diesels.

Personally, I would use the same or look for a smallish 4cyl diesel like from Isuzu or Toyota. I imagine farm country has a fair bit of diesel equipment donors that would work too.

I think a diesel Mustang would be awesome, especially with the newer quieter diesels. There is alot of possibilities to have a vehicle make a lot of power and be fuel efficient. I am swapping a Cummins 4BTA into my ranger this fall for those same reasons, power and fuel mileage, and well its cool to. I think I remember reading some where we some one put a 6.5 Duramax into a Mustang set up for drag racing...

Glad to see one of our soldiers agrees with me! To the rest of you, thanks for your input. I think that maybe down the line, Ford will put a diesel in the Mustang, for the same reason (fuel economy). As for now, I'll stick with the gas 2.3 in my hatchback, but who knows, maybe you'll see my '87 on here with a diesel!

A 4bt would be too big. The crappy lil one that Ragers had was just that crappy, Worse than the ones GM had for the Chevette and alike. Now a Perkins or Duetz would fit, those are pretty small unless you wanted to find a Nissan diesel wich had an optional turbo. Used in PU'P 1tons.

Ford actually offered a BMW diesel (2.4L, 6 cylinder, turbocharged) in the '84-'85 Lincoln Mark VII:
Lincoln Continental Mark VII - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It probably would work better in the lighter Mustang than the Mark.

This diesel would certainly get you enough torque!

A small diesel with electric generator would make a nice power plant for a homemade hybrid/electric Mustang. Not very sporty though...

OK so the Perk and the Duetz might fit, but how much power are we talking about here. Not very much.

All of the diesels mentioned here are old technology. You're not going to just drop in some 4cyl. diesel out of a tractor or industrial machine, drop it in a Mustang and start banking 45mpg. You'd need one of the newer Audi or Volkswagen diesels. If you have one of those, chances are really good that it's still wrapped in the Audi or VW that it came in so why bother putting it in a Fox Mustang?

To the O.P. - I'm glad you like diesels and I'm glad you like Mustangs, but I don't think you'll be happy with the mashup. Look at it this way. You can really really really like chocolate ice cream and you can really really really like garlic dill pickles, but I doubt you'd care much for them in the same spoonful.

I am new here i have a 93 2.3l hatch i have had it for 3 years it runs great. I have 2 extra motors for it and was thinking about maybe boring one of them to a bigger displacement but dont quite know if that would be a good idea any thoughts or suggestions would be valued

DANIEL
93 2.3l Hatchback w/T5

IMHO
You should get a diesel if you have access to free fuel
But putting one in a Mustang could take way longer than it's worth
I worked at a Lincoln Dealer in 1984 when those Marks came out with the BMW diesel plant
They were great cars and the engine had little trouble
However diesels are meant for trucks and pulling weight
Not saying you cant race one and propane injection is bad ass but
You will get black :poo: all over yourself and
If you get the fuel on you you will not get laid for a week

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You jumped on to a 12 year old thread, which can be a good thing when looking for input, but.
Yeah, that was coming.
The 7.3 is a slow, heavy ox, 225 hp but 400+ torque at a touch over idle, that means it will pull a house, two story with attached garage, all day long.
I know, I own one.
And the fuel mileage sucks, like 12 -14 mpg sucks,
But that's pulling the house. Or not. Doesn't matter.
I know you can chip them and get more hp and torque but you ain't gonna get much better in the mpg wars, but who cares about mpg,
You'll also find that that 'chip' will effect longevity, example, the dump truck has 600k+ on it right now today, no major repairs, not a valve cover removed, not a turbo swapped, bone stock. Show me a 'chipped' 7.3 with that many miles in a truck that works every day, and has the original gaskets, only minor repairs.
You may not want to hear this but a 4cyl coal burner with a family sized hair dryer would be a better choice.
Now I would do a eco-boost, twin turbo V6 or the 4cyl again with the family sized hair dryer.
The 6.9 or 7.3 are so heavy that it should not even be a thought.
Just my opinion

A 7.3 PSD weighs over 900lbs. I don't know what the IDIs weigh. If you're building a car around the engine, fine, but the factory unibody and front suspension probably won't handle it. Speaking of handling, there wouldn't be any. There are many smaller and lighter diesels that would be better candidates for a Fox3 Mustang. Nothing about any of that has changed in the last 13 years except that there are probably more of those small diesel engine options now. Come to think of it, just about any engine less than or equal to the size and weight of a 460 would be a better candidate.

It's been done. There's a couple on Instagram that I follow. And now that I want to see their combo's I can't find them.

One is a Cummins truck motor. Wish i could find the username but I never really paid too much attention to it due to diesel engines not really being my thing

Here's a different one with a Duramax in it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lga2_mqOVI

Last edited: