SN95 Difference between 5.0 and 3.8 bellhousing ? T-5 trans 94-95.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the 3.8 bellhousings push the t5 rearward a little more than the 5.0 also, and that the 3.8 t5s have a longer input shaft to accommodate.
The input shaft difference is between 94 and up (v6/v8 the same) vs 93 and older. Ford moved the shifter location in the cabin and needed trans moved back a little bit. Hence longer input shaft.

As mentioned above, flywheel tooth count is different between 3.8 and 5.0, thus different bellhousing. I do believe they will bolt up, but some things (like starter) won't line up right.

The input shaft difference is between 94 and up (v6/v8 the same) vs 93 and older. Ford moved the shifter location in the cabin and needed trans moved back a little bit. Hence longer input shaft.

As mentioned above, flywheel tooth count is different between 3.8 and 5.0, thus different bellhousing. I do believe they will bolt up, but some things (like starter) won't line up right.
This is 100% correct. The bell housing will bolt right up. The issue is flywheel. GT/Cobra is a 157tooth flywheel where the v6 used a 164tooth. Now you could get a flywheel for an F150 that is 164 tooth but if you do that, the money “saved” you could have just purchased the correct bell housing.

Reactions: 1 user
This is 100% correct. The bell housing will bolt right up. The issue is flywheel. GT/Cobra is a 157tooth flywheel where the v6 used a 164tooth. Now you could get a flywheel for an F150 that is 164 tooth but if you do that, the money “saved” you could have just purchased the correct bell housing.
I was actually about to PM you after searching through many many posts and saw a post from 2007 about you having done many engine swaps. i think you will be able to help me with my engine swap issue. its a '95 v6 shell transitioning to a 351w engine. My issue at the moment is getting the starter to engage properly.. T5 transmission.
i dont know how long its been since youve done that swap but as a refresher they both have a 164 tooth count flywheel but when i go to turn over the engine with the truck flywheel the starter just hits the flywheel teeth .
Some people say i need a starter that isnt from the v6 but dont say which one and v6 and 5.0 starters look the same. Some say get the GT bellhousing. It's been a tough few months of research to find what seems to be a unique issue.
Should i just hit the salvage yard and get the v8 bell and starter ? I would like to start adding more to my v6 to v8 swap thread but this has been whats holding me back.

Oh i remember this very well. Its truly a pain (this piece you are dealing with). I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone. I would find the correct 94/95 GT Bellhousing. Then you can use your T5 with no issues along with the v6 starter as it's the same as the v8.

Now I have done it your way once, and I never had an issue, so to me it sounds like you have the wrong flywheel in there. Again though, I'd get the correct 157 Tooth Flywheel and v8 bellhousing to solve all your problems. You will find out later the 164tooth you will have limitations on clutches down the road.

The Bellhousings pop up on eBay from time to time or try Facebook groups.