difference between 8.8 and 9 rear end

rudeone707

May 17, 2003
Fairfield, Ca
the guy that is going to install my gears has done alot of installs on a 9inch rear but none on an 8.8. Are the the same desgin? also will shims for an 9 work for an 8.8?

If they are not the same where can i get shims and a cruch sleeve from?

• Sponsors (?)

Backlash and gear pattern are the important thing when installing gears, and that is no different no matter what type of rear you're setting up. If the guy can do a 9, he can do an 8.8. The crush sleeve or pinion shims don't come with the gears? If not, Ford has all the stuff you're going to need for the install, and it's all pretty reasonable too.

Joe

You have to change everything. The 9in rear ends that Ford offererd are not interchangable with a Mustang unless you fabricate the suspension components and other items. Only serious racers use the 9in and even then the housing is never stock. Serious bracing and even different forms of iron which are stronger are used. You can grenade an 8.8 just as easily as a 9in. My suggestion to you is to spend your money on new axles for the 8.8 rear. You would have to cut the axle tubes, and 9in rear ends from ford came with drum brake hubs, so then you are forced into welding on the disc brake hubs. Sure someone probably sells a bolt in Mustang 9in rear end. Why the heck waste your money on it?